CT - Access Denied, you make me cry

Or maybe it’s not that smart to link your CT handle with your name, on line.

I’ve worked out who people are before by accident whilst simply exploring tasting notes. What you mention is the lowest effort method but it’s certainly not the only method.

This thread has me running to CT to check my privacy settings. Never even knew they were there!

I love it when some random person decides to give me full control of their cellar. User error

This is one key element.

The other thing that had me not only keep my cellar private, but also limit “cellar buddies” (i.e. selected people I allow to view my cellar) was a few folks who would cherry pick from my cellar listing, and get all pissy when I did not bring the wine they wanted to a dinner or tasting.

Time to stop having dinner with those people? wow… i can’t believe people would do that if they are actually friends…

One is in fact permanently off the list…and not just for me.

Some years back I requested from CT a list of users that looked at my CT holdings. In 1 months time they listed some 40 CT users half of them unknown to me. At that point I shut down access.

On the flipside, I do quite enjoy the option of granting friends access when they are coming for dinner and saying “what would you like to drink?” I’m delighted when I get a real response instead of “oh, anything is fine.” No one has ever abused the privilege and asked for something crazy.

Honestly I don’t share mine because it is a chore for me to keep up, so basically my stuff is outdated. I don’t know if anyone has a streamlined process but I find it really cumbersome especially when it doesn’t scan. I recently tried to put in 10 bottles and 8 of them didn’t come up, so when I had to manually enter it I just felt too lazy.

Agreed. Happy to have my “friends” see the content of my cellar, but not the whole world.

I also do not post tasting notes there for that reason. I do post here and on Facebook.

Are you sure? I have no record of such an interaction, and I don’t even know how I could tell you that. We have no good way to query such data.

Tom,

As someone new to wine, I mean starting to collect wine within the past four years, I have bought a whole bunch of different wines to see what I like. I now know what I like and am starting to buy more than one bottle of a wine to see how it changes with time. But my wife and I are both teachers and do not have the $$ to buy cases of wines at a time.

I really don’t have a dog in this fight and can see both sides of the argument. That said, I do like to compare cellar contents with those who allow it. It often impacts how I value their notes.

As to the comments feature, I think it is extremely helpful when used properly. I would never presume to comment that someone tasting note is “wrong” but I frequently and respectfully point out where a note and a score are way out of wack or when a description sounds like it nay be a flawed bottle.

I used to have my cellar contents as public, but I have since changed it to be private for this exact reason.

Well this has been educational. I started with why not share ones cellar – and I have been. Now I am a bit more cautious, so just changed my settings to only friends and fans. As some have noted, however, I am disappointed when I like a taster’s note or notes and would like to see what else they have – partly out of curiosity, but also partly to see if they have wines I might like. For the latter, though, I have learned a small workaround is to look at their tasting notes – which frankly achieves most of what I would want from seeing their cellar anyway.

I keep mine private for security reasons, even though the value of my cellar holdings is dwarfed by many here. I think I may allow friends and fans to view, but cannot recall. I also think it’s fun to peruse others’ holdings, which I usually do when someone’s tasting note makes me curious to see what other overlap(s) we may have between our holdings/interests.

Yes, yes you do :crazy_face:

I’ve always left mine public. I have no security worries especially since 80% of my wine is at offsite storage and my home has active alarm monitoring. I coulld not care less if someone makes a derogatory comment about my cellar or my notes. Freedom of speech, and all

I never thought of this. But, I am on kind of an island down here in central Florida.