Criots-Bâtard-Montrachet: Lamy & d'Auvenay (updated Summer 2020)

I’ve always found this balance extremely interesting. I recall reading Noble Rot and how (I think) Rolland makes the comment that if only Margaux’s winemaker would use new techniques more with his terroir, the wine would be even better. It’s a very interesting line to draw between being in favor of progress yet also respecting tradition and straddling that line, especially when many of the “snobs” in wine (of which I’m certainly one) look at many of the more new techniques suspicion.

Plus, of course, progress that I suspect that many of us are in favor of is no guarantee of the wines being good. Chapoutier has been an early champion of biodynamics, including letting grass grow in the vineyards for overall biome health. Yet many old school producers have explicitly eschewed that approach (Gonon, for instance). Many years ago I was visiting an old school producer in Cote Rotie who took me on a tour of their vines. I asked why the vineyards across the slope (i.e. Chapoutier’s) looked so different, and they explained the approach very briefly, paused and said “at least the vineyards look very pretty”.

Thanks William! This is really interesting - especially since it appears travel to France isn’t on the immediate docket for many of us…

Is there specific disease or mildew pressure this growing season that is upping the use of sprays?

I haven’t seen the published stats for the last 7 days, yet, Sean, but as of early last week, there was not much in the way of disease pressure for the 2020s…

Here are some updates on these two parcels of Criots-Bâtard-Montrachet, taken yesterday:

First, Olivier Lamy’s high density plantings…

Lamy Summer 2020 (1) by WilliamGFKelley, on Flickr

Lamy Summer 2020 (2) by WilliamGFKelley, on Flickr

Lamy Summer 2020 (3) by WilliamGFKelley, on Flickr

In the last photo, you can clearly see how Olivier has inter-planted between the older vines to increase the density.

And here is Lalou Bize-Leroy’s Criots…

Lalou Summer 2020 (1) by WilliamGFKelley, on Flickr

Lalou Summer 2020 (2) by WilliamGFKelley, on Flickr

Lalou Summer 2020 (3) by WilliamGFKelley, on Flickr

Lalou Summer 2020 (4) by WilliamGFKelley, on Flickr

Thanks. And the white stains, that’s presumably bouillie bordelaise?

Interesting - is it just that the rain has washed away the sprays from the higher part of the plants and that’s why the lower half still has residue?

Yeah, I assume so! Have had a few showers in Burgundy in the last 48 hours I think.

Some new updates by my research

1 Like

Beautiful pictures and wonderful information. The vigor and density of those Lamy vines is impressive. They look so healthy and gorgeous.

Sorry that I am late in reading this thread.

May God bestowed lucky on all of the Burg-Lover (rouge et blanc)…where ever you live.

Hubert Lamy Criots-BM ( HD) 2021 is at $7505 and 2020 is at $7694.

LOL indeed, it has rocketed in price (sadly). However, you would be hard-pushed to claim DRC, d’Auvenay, Coche or anyone else in the region is making a better white Burgundy. Given the tiny volumes. this is unsurprising.