Cote Rotie recommendation

I know it is not Côte Rôtie, but for around the same price (35-40€) as some CR I think the Clos des Grives (Combier) or La Guiraude (Graillot) in Crozes Hermitage offer better value. I’d rather have them than most entry level CR.

Alain

And that’s double the price, and remarkably hard to find.

The only thing that I would recommend would be to find something from an older less hyped vintage then 2015. Like 2011.

Christophe Billon might be right around the target price.

Well yes, but I was not replying to the original poster. It is not that hard to find, though; I have some right here in my apartment! (j/k, though there are five vintages available on Wine-Searcher.)

I’ve had some good vintages of Bonserine, and sometimes they can be found at the sub $50 price point, although less likely nowadays. They have a range of vineyards/bottlings.

Sometimes one can find the Guigal B&B C-R at that price point too. That should be a bit easier to find as well.

I recommend Priorat. So hot right now. #Fu

What are people’s thoughts on Pierre Gaillard?

As to the original posted question, entry level Cote Rôties from Francois Villard (Le Gallet Blanc) and Jean-Michel Gerin (Champin Le Seigneur) can hit the spot providing some classic Cote Rôtie elegance at a great price: in France are at the 40 euro price. Otherwise second Bernard Burgaud in a slightly rougher, less polished style.
Stepping up to single vineyards, Bonnefond ‘Les Rochains’ can be very delicious syrah and stays affordable for the appellation, and then there is Xavier Gerard who had recently got a lot of interest from this board…

Magnificent. I knew it wasn’t a mistake asking WB folks about this. Thanks for all the suggestions!!

I would add Burgaud, Ogier, St Cosme
Especially Burgaud
However remember the 25 years rule [cheers.gif]

Buy 2015 Burgaud, drink 2035-2045+

(Stephane) Ogier, the regular cuvée, is no bad choice, (is it still called La Côte ?),the 2014 should be available for 40-45 …
and this is quite enjoyable now …

Admittedly without having a young Gaillard in over a decade, a few weeks ago I was stunned by a 2003 that was meaty and gamey all day long. The young ones I’ve had in the past always struck me as overly modern.