Corksrews and TSA

I brought back a duty free bottle of limoncello as a gift. No problems having it on the plane. Which makes little sense - i can do a lot more damage to someone by hitting them over the head with a bottle of limoncello than I could by stabbing them with a nail clipper (of which I had several confiscated over the years before they wised up and stopped banning them).

I guess the rules about sharp instruments can get out of hand. But, really, you can’t realistically charge the pilot’s cabin by waving a bottle about. They are concerned about what’s in it, which is the difference. I’m not a big fan of giving up our civil liberties, but I expect the need to screen millions of passengers a day to keep air traffic even reasonably safe does entail the irrationalities that very general rules entail.

Agreed, but plenty of spirits in duty free, no doubt including some overproof bottlings.

p.s. for clarity, John said those were empty half bottles he was trying to take home.

This is exactly the reason cited for my corkscrews being confiscated, once when I attempted to slide through and once when I forgot it was in a side pocket when the bag had been used for a car trip.
Inconsistency seems to be a location/ agent thing in the Santa Barbara airport as I`ve heard from friends who escaped the capture.

Nice! I just bought one. Thanks for the recommendation.

Has anyone had issues getting through security with an ah so? I’ve never bothered… whenever I’ve needed one when I’m traveling I just order one of Amazon and leave it with whoever I’m traveling to see.

I fail to see the relevance of this. The point of the rules is that they know that the liquid in duty-free bottles is non-explosive. Short of making a makeshift Molotov cocktail, hard spirits are no more dangerous than wine. Yes, the empty bottle thing is different, but that is not what I was arguing about.

Hi Jonathan
I think we must be talking at crossed purposes.

Regards
Ian