Corkage Etiquette for Older Bottles?

This is not my experience at all - talking about old corks, not never used new ones. Though they vary; I might eyeball or try a couple to find the one that goes in easiest.

I always find that the wet end of a cork that was just pulled expands greatly and won’t go back in.

But chalk it up to another of those things where each of us experiences the wine world a little differently.

I think many / most restaurants will be compassionate, but that is their choice, not the patron’s. I have had both experiences and believe we should react with grace, even in the face of this first-world problem. I’m sure it is more than balanced out by the number of times we haven’t been charged corkage in our lives.

It’s not common, but we have had restaurants object to bringing previously opened bottles before.

If you use an Ah-So type of opener you can probably reinsert the cork back in so that it doesn’t look like was removed (except for the foil). Some table / stand style openers are also good for reinsertion of the cork.

My experience has always been that the protocol for serving wine that someone has brought is the same as wine that is purchased. It’s opened, (or if already opened, they ask whether I had already tasted it), pour a small taste to one person who judges whether it is flawed, and after that it is served to the table. If it is flawed, corkage shouldn’t be charged. If it’s approved and poured to everyone, then you’ve accepted corkage even if you don’t finish the bottle, later decide it’s flawed, etc.