Coravin, Pungo...now Wikeeps - these are popping up everywhere

Thanks Kevin

I have both and much prefer the Pungo. The flow is awesome, especially when compared to the anemic stream of the Coravin. The Pungo also exudes quality construction unlike the plasticized Coravin. And it uses the basic unthreaded argon cartridges that are commonly available in the market. I plan to stay loyal for now as I like the vibe of the Pungo guys.

Another happy Pungo owner. I was having some “user error” issues at first and the customer support was fantastic. Quality of construction is excellent. Really a class act all around and I rarely say that.

BTW- It appears that the reason Pungo isn’t openly on sale is that production is too small to keep up with demand and there is a waiting list to purchase.

So you can count me as a very happy Coravin user, as I probably stab more bottles than most being that I don’t really use it for small “tastes”…but more for the fact that we can enjoy multiple bottles per night without having to worry about one being oxidized…and then continue to stab them until they get to the point where it makes zero sense not to crack them open.
-Granted there’s been a couple cases where I Coravin a bottle down to 1/3 full and it shows slightly less after doing
so, but for the most part, it’s been a game-changer for my wine consumption purposes.

That being said, I’m still very interested in picking up a Pungo, as the feedback has been great…and ultimately I’m just looking for any reason to invest in a new wine gadget with value :slight_smile:

Despite the rave reviews form the board (which I whole-hardheartedly trust and appreciate), my concern after watching the YouTube video’s is that the needle on the Pungo looks freaking MASSIVE! I’m hoping other board members who use the Pungo often can put my mind at ease to confirm the following:
-Despite the needle being clearly bigger than the Coravin, it hasn’t caused any issues when “stabbing” newer and
older corks (just cant’ see how it doesn’t push-in older corks)
-Most importantly, the plugs actually work as well as advertised on the youtube videos

Thanks in advance everyone - appreciate the feedback!

plugs work and have Pungoed 30 bottles or so with no problem ever.

Awesome - thank you!

And what is the actual cost of this bad-boy? Don’t think it lists it on the site.

Thanks!

I think I paid $325 for mine. I think that puts it in the same area as the Coravin, does it not?

Thanks John. Coravin is $299 (unless someone has found it for cheaper recently), and comes with 2 capsules…so relatively close.

Definitely getting closer and closer to pulling the trigger on one. Hmmm…Father’s day is coming up next weekend…

Over time you will pay significantly more for the Coravin. The “proprietary” cartridges are much more expensive, and they don’t last as long (because the Pungo does not pressurize the bottle and then release the excess argon for each pour).

Pungo must not need to sell their product very badly, their website contact info seems to be on the blink the last 2 or 3 times I tried. What’s up with ordering this thing?

try info@pungo.us

I have been using the Pungo for the last 9-10months and really like it. 75% of my drinking now involves using my Pungo. It’s works very well for my needs - extending bottles over several days / week. During the week I tend to have a glass every 1-2night and this has allowed me to enjoy a greater variety / better quality wine for day to day drinking w/o fear of wasting any.

I have never used the stopper, but am encouraged from what I have read above. The quality is impressive and I can’t imagine a more simple to use system.

Just had my first wine from a Coravin’d bottle. Was having dinner with a few guys and one pulled out a half consumed bottle. He said he’s been coravining the bottle for the last month and was curious how it’d taste if we popped it (btl of 07 henri germain Morgeot if anyone is curious). We opened it, it was served at room temp. The wine was glorious and roaring. If a white burg can sit there for a month with that much space and still taste fresh as hell in sub optimal serving conditions, call me a fan.

I’m tempted to buy one so I can drink wine at home now.

I built something nearly identical to the Wikeeps. It does a decent enough job, but as others have pointed out, I need to remove the cork to put the new stopper in place so its not comparable to a Coravin or Pungo.

Also I thought I signed up to be notified when Pungo’s would be available nearly a year ago- haven’t heard anything since.

Okay, I am planning to get one of those. Now, it seems like the overall feedback suggests pulling a Pungo over a Coravin. But, I don’t seem to find pricing or purchase info for one?

See a few posts earlier in the thread, which provide an email address, etc.

Another question- can anyone report first hand experience with wikeeps?

As best as I can tell, it works great with young wines with still-springy corks.

I love my Coravin. I use it for probably 9 out of 10 bottles I drink. I like the idea of the Pungo, and may even pick one up. It appears that you keep the unit installed in the bottle though. I tend to have a few bottles accessed at a time.