Copenhagen and Amsterdam recommendations

A couple friends who are also in town had a great meal there. They mentioned they ordered a glass of wine, and ended up with 2 or 3 extra free drinks just as a result of chatting with the staff — love places like that!

Unfortunately, won’t make it this trip… next time.

2 Likes

It is a great place. Had some really good moments there.

2 Likes

Circling back to this… I ate quite well in Copenhagen as you can imagine. My travel plans went a little sideways, so Sollerod Kro got knocked off the list, unfortunately.

My first stop was at Kodbyens Fiskebar out in the Meatpacking District. I went for lunch, and found it somewhat underwhelming to be honest. I ordered oysters and the fish and chips. The oysters came dry (I.e., without the liquor) which was a bummer. The fish and chips was interesting (I’ve not had fish and chips with smoked fish before), but wouldn’t justify the trip. I understand it gets quite busy here at night.

That night, I went to Geranium. They placed me at the kitchen table, which as you might expect is in the kitchen. It was a good way to get a sense of the inner workings of the restaurant and the staff (which is largely young and international). The food was quite good. The wine list is a tome. If you choose a champagne from the cart, they’ll keep you topped up through the duration of the appetizers which is a nice touch. All of that said, I do feel that it fell into some of the traps that so many *** restaurants do – in aspiring toward perfection (particularly from a service standpoint), they start to feel kind of anonymous and interchangeable. I had some nice conversations with several of the team members, but there was still that formal slant that I found kind of distracting. So, in sum, I think if you’re looking for a *** experience in Copenhagen, Geranium is a great choice. But it wasn’t the most exciting or personable restaurant I visited.

Some Pics

I’ll throw a recommendation out there for Hart Bakery and their cardamom “croissant.”

I posted about Restaurant Barr upthread, and thought it was a worthwhile visit for lunch. A couple friend of mine went for dinner a few nights later and found the service to be off, but I had no issues.

Amass may have been the best meal I had in Copenhagen. It has many of the hallmarks of what I associate with the food scene here – hyperlocal ingredients, a climate-conscious orientation, fermented things, and great food. The space is cool – somewhat industrial with graffiti on the walls, with generously spaced tables – and the service was friendly and casual. I’d love to share a copy of the menu… but there isn’t one. The wine card (and larger wine menu) was very workable and had some interesting options. I think the one way they could improve the experience is by providing their guests a menu after the meal.

Lunch at Sushi Anaba was engaging and tasty. It’s an 8-seat omakase bar that uses ingredients sourced from Scandinavia. Worth a visit if you can snag a reservation.

Lastly, I had dinner at Anarki – the kind of wine bar you wish you had in your neighborhood. Fair warning that the food is homey and rich. The wine list is pretty fun, and while I stuck with champagne here, there’s plenty to explore.

3 Likes

Will definitely be bookmarking this thread - we’ll be heading to Amsterdam and Copenhagen next June on one of the backend of our trip.

+1 on Amass. Had a fantastic time when we dined there.

1 Like