Cooking an epic meal...just for YOU?

Good stuff. I love cooking to be shared as well, but there’s just something inside me (that greedy, selfish, somewhat gluttonous side) that loves these very rare opportunities. I have some duck fat in the fridge, some aged Flannery in the freezer…

Yes, I do the same and enjoy it immensely.

Arnold is a good enough cook that other than the cognitive dissonance I enjoy the meal. I’ve cooked (much) worse. But don’t try ordering the spaghetti at Jolibees…

I love these opportunities as well, but they are rare. I don’t do anything overly fancy, but instead something that I want, but my wife would never eat (she’s not a super-adventurous eater.) Usually it’s something like pasta with anchovies… just something different than the norm that I can improvise on.

Since I already do all the cooking, I’d be going out for ribs, sushi or pizza, or grabbing a pint of Graeter’s.

There is something nice about a quiet night at home by yourself once and awhile. I do cook for myself in those situations but I cook 5-6 nights a week as is so that’s not really a change for me.

My wife is not particularly into pasta, so when I am alone it’s just simple pasta with garlic and oil.

My kids stay up as late or later than me on most non-school nights and we eat as a family 99% of the time, so the 1 or 2 times a year this may come up it’s because everyone is out and I’m alone for some reason. Usually will enjoy a slow meal with either Duck breast (my wife won’t eat - too cute) or truffle, (only I enjoy in my family).

My go to’s are seared duck breast with a red burg or tagliatelle with truffle/ porcini & a barolo.
If warm weather - probably something like good fish or scallop with Aus/Ger riesling or white Burg/ Cdn chard.

mmm Graeter’s- we are particularly fond of the chocolate chocolate chip.

That one is Marjorie’s favorite sustenance, also. I, however, do not discriminate.

I eat alone most weeknights, and usually cook. I like to experiment and try new recipes when it’s just me, before making them for anyone else, so I definitely have made some elaborate meals to eat solo. But usually it’s pretty simple, grilled, pan seared, roasted . . . and always exactly what I am in the mood for!

I’m not a gourmet cook, sometimes if Kathy’s away I’ll go out by myself to a nice restaurant and treat myself to a nice meal!

This thread reminds me of my grandfather. Back when my dad was growing up in China, food was scarce and he and his nine brothers and sisters never had enough to eat.

Good old Grandpa was fond of making himself an epic meal, which in those days was a small fish. He’d fry it up and when the smell lured the kids out, he’d yell at and sometimes hit them if they got too close while he ate it all himself.

Me, I will sometimes make rack of lamb or a steak. My husband doesn’t eat meat but I have it whenever I want.

I use the opportunity to cook things that my wife doesn’t like, for example spaghetti with clam sauce.

For wine, I often open bottles that I’m nervous about serving to others, or wines my wife doesn’t like, e.g. aged whites or Riesling. The other day I opened a 1989 Bosquet des Papes Chateauneuf. My last few bottles were volatile to the point of undrinkable. This one was also stinky but it tasted okay and was otherwise pretty well preserved. I made it through almost half of it over a couple days before tossing it out and opening a beer.

I don’t like to cook. If my wife is isn’t home, I’ll eat and drink something she doesn’t like. During white truffle season, I’ll scramble some eggs, make some pasta or potatoes (mashed or, if I’m feeling lazy, baked) and have a white truffle dinner. With Champagne. If it is not white truffle season, I’ll pick up some caviar and a crusty loaf of bread (always have good butter in the house) and have a caviar dinner. With Champagne. Don’t need to cook much to have a great dinner with white truffles or caviar. And Champagne.

Great stuff.

While I didn’t go “epic” like I had planned, I did cook up something that I love and my wife really doesn’t: pan fried oysters. I had a NV Le Mesnil Champagne Grand Cru Blanc de Blancs to go with them. I spent too much time canning tomatoes and I lacked the energy to fire up the grill and thaw a steak. The bubbly and oysters were really, really good though.

Paul, do you do this every weekend? [cheers.gif]

Next time I’m in Portland, I’ll be at your house. I promise to arrive no later than 4:59 am. I will supply the Champagne. champagne.gif

We picked up the grand kids from elemental school and fed them when they were doing home work before taking them to soccer or their mom picked then up. My wife would make Mac&Cheese or Grandma’s Golash. I started doing a slow cooker pulled pork on Sundays which would last for them and me several days. Wife is in Mexico with friends, so pulled out the slow cooker for some pulled pork with mustard sauce. Next up is beef pot roast. [cheers.gif]

I’m an avid hunter but my wife doesn’t really like to eat game, even though it’s delicious. When she goes out of town I have “wild game extravaganza weekend” and really do it up. I usually cook at least 2 big wild game dinners. Duck confit, cassoulet, duck breasts in cherry and red wine reduction, venison loin. Wild boar bolognese, etc. it’s awesome