Contra Costa County Wine Heritage

Thanks for the pointer, Morgan!

The name has popped up in the past, including your own Evangelho Vineyard write-up, but my independent attempts to get a fix on the relationship between the man and the vineyard had been fruitless up to now.

The City of Oakley ACVP Vineyard Map states that this property(#44), SW of Brownstone Rd and Anderson Ln (SE of Price Ln), is owned by “Joe & Rose Teixira, Trustees”. However, a Google search reveals that Mr Castanho and the Teixiras concurrently share a mailing address - the southern parcel of the “Castanho Vineyard” (#45). Perhaps this is one more case of everyone being related in Oakley?!?

Pinpointing the “Castanho Vineyard” (#44-45) has been a thorn in my side ever since I got a bottle of the Dropout Mourvèdre!!

I was given an approximate location for the vineyard, but not the actual address. In truth, the City of Oakley has no exact address for the place: ~600 Brownstone Rd!!

The “Castanho Vineyard” may not be truly old-vine, but I can overlook that when the juice is good! :slight_smile:
mapImg.png
mapImg (1).png

Ken, off the top of my head, all I can find is a mention of Vine Hill among the vineyards/properties of Mr Digardi, noted in this thread, here.

You might wish to download the “Wayward Tendrils” website’s looong “A History of the Napa Viticultural District”, which includes the histories of Napa, Solano, and Contra Costa Counties.

My knowledge of CoCo’s West-side winemaking history is virtually nill, aside from the Edible East Bay article that states:

“In the early twentieth century, Martinez and Oakley, not Rutherford and St. Helena, were darlings of the wine world. The Christian Brothers winery was in Martinez, the world’s largest wine cellar was Winehaven in Richmond, and 6,000 acres were under vine.”

I will share more if I find something…

Viano Vineyards is on Vine Hill in Martinez. Those vineyards have been there for about 130 years I think.

Thanks for the pointer, Matt!

My brain is not always firing on all cylinders. :stuck_out_tongue:

Given the pricing of the wines from Viano, Zinfandel from 130-year-old plantings at ~$10-15/btl is ridiculous!!!

The webpage could use a little sprucing up, but that might just be my bitterness speaking (they don’t ship to where I live). :wink:

Here’s what the Viano Vineyards site says about the estate:

"Conrad Viano Winery:

"Our century-old vineyard is nestled on hillsides surrounding a fertile little valley where cooling breezes from the Carquinez Straits provide the necessary balance of heat and coolness. Here in our valley, we have a proven combination of ideal soil and climatic conditions favorable for growing premium wine grapes. Included are Chardonnay, Chenin Blanc, French Columbard, Muscat Canelli, Cabernet Sauvignon, Gamay, Petite Sirah, Sangiovese and Zinfandel.

"This Family Estate, now with its 4th and 5th generations, was founded by the Viano family in 1920. They purchased the already planted vineyard which was established in 1888. It reminded them of their vineyards in Piedmont, Italy. This area, once so rich in grapes, was named Vine Hill and home to more than 15 wineries.

“Some of the original vines still remain while the balance of the vineyard has been expanded and replanted to keep up with new world tastes and desires. Using the most natural, cultural practices possible, combined with traditional winemaking techniques, which includes natural yeast and aging in small oak cooperage, we bring you these fine handcrafted wines.”

While the Viano “Zin Port” contains fruit from +70-year-old vines, I am fairly sure that the “Sand Rock Hill” Reserve Zinfandel is the sole bottling produced with +100-year-old vine fruit, per the description of the wine on the site:

2012 Contra Costa County Sand Rock Hill Zinfandel
Vineyard: Estate, Sand Rock Hill
Composition: 100% Zinfandel
Harvest date: September 16, 2012
Sugar: 24.5 Brix
Total acid: .75g/100ml
pH: 3.56
Aging: 12 months French Oak
Release date: December 2015
Vineyard: The Sand Rock Hill vineyard consists of 85-129 year old vines growing on sandrock. The soil varies from 6 inches to 3 feet in depth, producing smaller berries with great intensity and flavor.

Tasting notes: Our 2012 Reserve Selection Sand Rock Hill Zinfandel has a full regiment of ripe fruit, excellent depth, with a spicy finish. Perfect with savory grilled meats. Limited production - 300 cases”

Viano Vineyards Homepage

The Press
“City of Antioch Land Tracts Approved as Opportunity Zones”
April 5, 2018

"The Contra Costa County District 3 Office recently announced that Antioch land tracts nominated for Gov. Brown’s designation as opportunity zones were included in the March 22 submission to the federal government.

“…Opportunity Zones incentivize development by deferring or eliminating federal capital gains taxes. A successful designation could lead to improvements and redevelopment at the mall and in the surrounding areas.”

California Department of Finance “Opportunity Zones”

“…The federal tax bill, passed at the end of December, 2017, allows the Governor to designate certain census tracts as Opportunity Zones. Investments made by individuals through special funds in these zones would be allowed to defer or eliminate federal taxes on capital gains.”

“Designated Qualified Opportunity Zones Map” Tool

What does this news have to do with the growing of wine grapes?

As I previously pointed out in an overview of the Meadows family’s vineyard properties, including “Carla’s Vineyard”, the son of the late Dwight Meadows is employed as a land developer. A large area of family vineyard land, once located adjacent to the “Evangelho Vineyard” in NE Antioch, no longer exists.

While I am not against the prosperity of any community, it is a sad thing to see the viticultural heritage of Contra Costa sacrificed - especially if there is the possibility of simultaneously achieving the preservation of vineyards and economic growth.

The establishment of the Oakley-area Dutch Slough Preserve took years to settle. On this designated piece of land, set aside in order to increase the acreage of marshland along the Delta, is a 14-acre vineyard.

The original plan entailed the uprooting of the century-old Carignan vines. I read City of Oakley council’s prolonged battle over the fate of this viticultural heritage property.

Former Oakley Mayor Kevin Romick, Mr Matt Cline of Three Wine Company, as well as a founding member of the Historic Vineyard Society (and fellow Wine Berserker) each played major parts in preventing the destruction of the “Lucchesi/Emerson/Jose Vineyard”.

Every year, Matt Cline hosts a “Vineyard Cleanup” to pick up litter that collects in the sandy field of vines. The Three Wine Company bottles a “Lucchesi Vineyard” Carignan.

The Press
“Dutch Slough Tidal Marsh Restoration Project to Begin Next Month”
by Tony Kukulich
April 5, 2018

"A ground-breaking wetland restoration project that has been more than 15 years in the making is now just weeks away from breaking ground in Oakley.

"The Dutch Slough Tidal Marsh Restoration project is slated to start construction next month. The project is an effort by the California Department of Water Resources (DWR) to restore nearly 1,200 acres of critically needed habitat for fish and wildlife in the Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta. A DWR description of the project states the restoration of these habitats is considered a critical action to increase numbers of native sensitive species and improve general ecological health of the Delta.

"…The project encompasses three parcels of land – the Emerson, Gilbert and Burroughs parcels – and will restore them to a combination of wetland, upland and open water habitats. The impacted area is roughly bordered by Dutch Slough to the north, the Contra Costa Canal to the south, Marsh Creek to the west and Jersey Island Road to the east.

"…‘The restoration area was slated for homes by the county, but when the city incorporated, the city council voted to designate that 1,200 acres as open space,’ explained Oakley City Manager Bryan Montgomery. ‘I’m not sure there is another city our size that has designated so much land for open space.’

"…The project will be completed in two phases. The first phase will see restoration of the Emerson and Gilbert parcels. Work on the Burroughs parcel will commence once DWR completes negotiations with developers to the east of the project area. The construction work will primarily consist of lowering the higher elevations and using the material taken from there to raise lower elevations. The effect will be a wider distribution of incoming tidal waters over the area.

“‘You’re distributing all those great nutrients in and out twice a day,’ said Moran. ‘Wetlands are what we lost in the Delta – 97 percent since the 1850s. That’s the biggest thing we’ve lost. We still have water. We still have waterways. We still have islands. We don’t have wetlands.’

"…The total cost for the project is estimated to be $71 million including the $28 million cost to purchase the properties. Construction of the first phase is expected to take two years. The new plantings will be given about a year to take root and then in 2021, the levy will be breached allowing the marsh to flood. Construction in Burroughs parcel in the second phase will likely start in 2020.

5ac50ff8e363c.image.jpg

"The Emerson parcel will include recreational features like bike and pedestrian trails, shoreline access, fishing opportunities and interpretive signs to facilitate educational visits to the site by school and community groups. It will include a 55-acre parcel that the City of Oakley will establish as a community park. A 14-acre vineyard that has been in use for more than 100 years will be preserved, though the original project plans called for the vines to be removed. Oakley City Councilmember Kevin Romick fought hard to get the plans adjusted to save the vineyard.

“‘The restoration of the 1,200 acres, nearly 2 square miles, will create an incredible community amenity that will be unrivaled in Contra Costa,’ said Romick. ‘Not only restoring wetlands and recreating woodland and scrub areas, we managed to save some of Oakley’s historic ancient vineyards.’"

UPDATE:

A couple local news channels featured the Romiti family’s decision to sell their Zinfandel vineyard, which they have owned for three generations.

ABC-7’s story on the Romiti Vineyard sale:

The Press’ coverage on a little bit of the history behind the Romiti Vineyard, with a better interview:

“The Press Hometown News” Channel’s video description states that the Romiti family has owned the vineyard for 90 years, but that the vines are ~150-years-old!!! :astonished:

[cry.gif]

Bertus van Zyl, winemaker at T-Vine, surveys the Evangelho Vineyard of Antioch, California. T-Vine Winery makes a Carignan and a Mataro/Mourvèdre from this famous old vineyard:

Lucca winery in Ripon is run by the Luchessi family and features Oakley wines. Never tried

Cool - thanks for the info, Matt and Drew!

The Contra Costa Wine Group is one of the top-rated home winemaking clubs in the nation. I have searched for more links on the organization, as it has won more recent Wine Maker Magazine awards since the below article.

Diablo Gazette
“Contra Costa Wine Group Hosts 38th Annual Wine Judging”
February 9, 2016
by Richard Eber

"Welcome to the Contra Costa Wine Group’s (CCWG) 38th annual professional judging of vino, mostly produced in the garages of its 75 members. Each year the club, which has been recently named Wine Club of the Year for the third time in five years by Winemaker Magazine, holds its competition where gold, silver, and bronze medals are awarded for different varieties of red, white, and dessert wines.

"The CCWG has been around since 1972 and relies on its member’s love of winemaking to be the guiding light behind the club’s activities. ‘Our success is based upon our location in Northern California near high-quality grapes, the wonderful sharing of information among members and the spirit of the club,’ states the group’s President, or should we say “Wine Czar” Bonneau Dixon.

“…CCWG members reside primarily on the 680 corridor from Martinez to Livermore with several members living in Concord, Clayton, Walnut Creek and Pleasant Hill. They all understand the purpose of the organization is to make the best wine possible by improving their methodology each year. Monthly meetings hosted at a member’s house include a happy hour of drinking each other’s vintages followed by an expert speaker on some aspect of winemaking.”

bb27b0da8ba4ff2af6737d5b8635d1564c23fa2a

“…For the judges, the task of evaluating 99 entries is an act of love. There is no monetary compensation. They are content receiving a six-pack of quality wine from the group. At the awards dinner, Judge Maria Terry was asked if she grew tired of drinking wine. As a judge for the CCWG, she distinguishes between evaluating wines and enjoying them. To this, she raised a glass and replied ‘There is a difference between tasting and consuming wine. I like to do both.’”

According to the group’s secretary, Al Turner, the CCWG has won the WineMaker Magazine 2010, 2011, 2015, 2016 & 2017 (International) Club of the Year!!!

Contra Costa Wine Group website:

Dirty & Rowdy Family Wines has two videos available for viewing on Vimeo:

“Evangelho Vineyard”

“Evangelho Vineyard (1 minute)”

Evangelho-Vineyard-300x285.png

Google Books’ website contains a treasure trove of information pertaining to California’s prior wine production statistics, the quantities of grape varieties grown in each region, etc, only if one knows precisely how to find it. Otherwise, the attempt can prove to be a rather disheartening! :astonished:

The publication shown below names most counties’ major grape growers, and identifies the varieties cultivated by each.

If only this information was still made publibly available on an annual basis.

Directory of the Grape Growers: Wine Makers and Distillers of California, and of the Principal Grape Growers and Wine Makers of the Eastern States
Published by California Board of State Viticultural Commissioners, 1891

“Contra Costa County Harvest Numbers” are provided on page 4:

• 3,141.5 total acres of vineyards
  • 1,750.5 acres bearing
  • 2,085 acres of wine grapes

The “Directory of Grape Growers & Winemakers for Contra Costa County” is found from pages 22 - 27.

This directory of Townships and the Growers’/Winemakers’ last names are organized alphabetically.

The most common varieties grown in Contra Costa during the late 19th Century were:

• Zinfandel
• Mission
• Rose of Peru (Black Prince or Mission)
• Mataro (Mourvèdre)
• Black Malvoisie / Cinsault
• Carignan
• Chasselas
• Muscat
• Burger
• Black Ferrara (image)

Note: According to conflicting sources, Californian Rose of Peru may be the same variety as either Black Prince (aka, Kodryanka Late), Mission, or Cinsault .

In 2017, a TTB document asserted, “Rose of Peru is a red Vitis vinifera variety, long grown in California, that DNA evidence has disclosed to be identical to the Mission variety…”.

** EDIT **

Below is a similar report for the year 1930, though with fewer details. The total vineyard acreage of grapes is shown for various counties. Information for each of the 16 top wine grapes of the time are individually provided as well.

California Grape Acreage, Production, Yields, and Acreage per Farm,1930, by Varieties, Counties, and Districts
by Shear, S. W. (Sherwood William)
Published by California Grape Control Board, 1932
Search Results: “Contra Costa” (not all entries appear via intertextual search)

Wine Grape Varieties - Acreage, Production, and Average Yields per Acre” for Contra Costa County are provided on page 9:

• 5,578 acres of wine grapes
  • 10,099 tons produced
  • 2.0 tons-per-acre produced

Page 23 reports the White Wine Grape Varieties - Acreage, Production, and Average Yields per Acre” for Contra Costa County:

• 56 acres of white wine varieties
  • 89 tons produced
  • 1.7 tons-per-acre

Page 29 reports the Black Wine Grape Varieties - Acreage, Production, and Average Yields per Acre” for Contra Costa County:

• 5,448 acres of black wine varieties
  • 9,896 tons produced
  • 2.0 tons-per-acre

I located an online weather/climate reporting source for Antioch, California:

University of California Agricultural & Natural Resources (UC-ANR) Statewide Integrated Pest Management Program’s (IPM) California Weather Data: Report

contracosta_stations.gif
California Weather Data: “Station Description for ANTIOCH.C (NCDC #0232, Antioch Pumping Plant 3)

Observer:
CONTRA COSTA WATER DISTRICT

• Nearest City: Antioch
• Latitude: 37 deg 59 min N
• Longitude: 121 deg 44 min W
• Elevation: 60 ft

Station and Site Characteristics:

Available Data:
• UC IPM database records begin/end: March 1, 1955 / about six months ago
• Reporting interval: Daily

Report: “Daily Averages Report for Antioch - Climate (NCDC #0232, Antioch Pumping Plant 3): 1955-2018

Measurement Details about Antioch - Climate Variables:
Air Temperature: Daily max/min measured at 5 feet.
Precipitation: Daily total measured in 8 inch diameter gauge.
Pan evaporation: Daily total measured 7 days per week.”

Admittedly, this is awfully nerdy stuff. Anyone interested in checking out similar data for other locations in California may visit:

California Weather Data: County and PestCast Network Maps

Outside of California:

[u]NOAA Links to Regional Climate Centers[/u]:

Western Regional Climate Center

High Plains Regional Climate Center

Midwestern Regional Climate Center

Northeast Regional Climate Center

Southeast Regional Climate Center

Southern Regional Climate Center

I received an email message from Mr Rory Williams of Calder Wine Company for the Carignan Renaissance, Part Deux thread today. To my surprise, he announced that he will be bottling a Carignan from Antioch’s “Evangelho Vineyard”!!!

Evangelho CN.jpg
Here are a few comments taken from his responses to my Carignan-related questions:

"…Evangelho (in CoCo) is in its characteristic sand. All make great Carignane; I’d say a unifying feature is a lack of excessive fertility and good drainage, features essential to helping control Carignane’s natural vigor. "

“…I also started working with a bit of Evangelho fruit in 2016 thanks to a call from Morgan–I think folks on the WB board have probably heard of him. Can’t say no to Evangelho.”

Regarding regional expressions of Carignan:

“Darker fruit, blood, iron, more weight, more tannin in Mendocino; softer fruit, more friendly texture, perfume, floral, bright aromatic focus in CoCo. Both areas find their own paths to interesting, intense flavors.”

Calder Wine Company website

This graph is from an unpublished book by wine/viticulture historian Ernest P. Peninou:

[u]A Statistical History of Wine Grape Acreage in California, 1856 - 1992[/u] (download)
by Ernest P. Peninou
Copyright 2000

Contra Costa County “Total Winegrape Acreage (1856-1992)”
Screenshot_2018-05-24-15-03-12.png
As discussed elsewhere, the Contra Costa area hosted huge levels of wine production many years ago. Today, newer vineyards have been cultivated to the East, West, and South of Antioch and Oakley’s historic plantings. Commercial and residential development are replacing the vulnerable century-old Zinfandel and “mixed blacks” vineyards.

Wayward Tendrils website: “Downloadable Viticultural Histories”

I felt the need to post the results of this annual wine competition in order to highlight the bottles that actually contain fruit from Contra Costa County - the original link (below, in blue) includes all the wines from Contra Costa-based producers.

It seems like everyone gets a medal at these events, yet the “SF Chronicle Wine Competitionstill serves as a reference for current CoCo-sourced bottlings.

Contra Costa Today
“[u]San Francisco Chronicle[/u] Announces Its Medal-Winning Wines”
January 17, 2018

"The San Francisco Chronicle has announced its 2018 wine competition medal-winning wines.

"With more than 7,100 entries, this was the largest competition of American wines in the world. A public tasting will be held February 17 from 1:30 pm to 5:00 pm at Fort Mason in San Francisco.

“…Here is a look at how Contra Costa Wines were scored:

Bloomfield Vineyards CA White Blends – $30.00 and above 2016 Contra Costa County Bloomfield Vineyards ‘Devil’s Daughter’ $30.00 Silver

Bloomfield Vineyards CA Pinot Gris/Grigio – $20.00 and above 2016 Contra Costa County Pinot Grigio $30.00 Bronze

Bloomfield Vineyards CA Chardonnay – $30.00 – $33.99 2016 Contra Costa County Chardonnay $30.00 Silver

Campos Family Vineyards CA Dry/Sweet Rose/Blush – RS>1.00 and more 2016 Contra Costa Rose $29.00 Bronze

Campos Family Vineyards CA All Other Red Blends – $30.00 and above 2015 Contra Costa ‘GiGi’s Blend’ $34.00 Silver

Campos Family Vineyards CA Cab Franc – $30.00 – 39.99 2015 Contra Costa Cabernet Franc $34.00 Silver

Campos Family Vineyards CA Petite Sirah – $29.00 – $32.99 2015 Contra Costa County Petite Sirah $32.00 Bronze

Campos Family Vineyards CA Barbera – $30.00 and above 2015 Contra Costa Barbera $32.00 Silver

Campos Family Vineyards CA Zinfandel – $32.00 – $35.99 2015 Contra Costa County Zinfandel $32.00 Silver

Cline Cellars CA All Other Red Varietals 2015 Contra Costa County ‘Ancient Vines’ Carignane $14.99 Silver

Cline Cellars CA All Other Red Blends – Up to $14.99 2016 California ‘Cashmere Black Magic’ $14.99 Gold

Cline Cellars CA Mourvedre 2016 Contra Costa County ‘Ancient Vine’ Mourvedre $14.99 Silver

Cline Cellars CA Zinfandel – $28.00 – $31.99 2015 Contra Costa County ‘Live Oak’ Zinfandel $29.99 Silver

Cline Cellars CA Zinfandel – $28.00 – $31.99 2015 Contra Costa County ‘Big Break’ Zinfandel $29.99 Silver

Cline Cellars CA Dry Rose/Blush – RS >.25-.99 2016 Contra Costa County ‘Ancient Vines’ Mourvedre Rosé $12.99 Bronze

Dashe Cellars CA Carignan/Carignane 2015 Contra Costa ‘Evangelho Vineyard’ Carignane $28.00 Bronze

Ehrenberg Cellars CA Dry/Sweet Rose/Blush – RS>1.00 and more 2017 Contra Costa County ‘Favlora Vineyards’ Rosé $25.00 Bronze

Ehrenberg Cellars CA Carignan/Carignane 2015 Contra Costa County Carignane $48.00 Silver

Rock Wall Wine Company CA Montepulciano 2015 Contra Costa County Montepulciano $30.00 Bronze

Rock Wall Wine Company CA Zinfandel – $44.00 – $54.99 2014 Contra Costa County ‘Pearl Hart’ Zinfandel $50.00 Silver

Rock Wall Wine Company CA Dry Rose/Blush – RS 0 2016 Contra Costa County ‘Zin Nymph’ White Zinfandel $22.00 Silver

three CA Petite Sirah – $33.00 – 38.99 2014 Contra Costa County ‘Mazzoni’ Petite Sirah $38.00 Silver

three CA Zinfandel – $36.00 – $39.99 2015 Contra Costa County ‘Live Oak’ Zinfandel $36.00 Gold

three CA Zinfandel – $36.00 – $39.99 2015 Contra Costa County ‘Bigelow’ Zinfandel $36.00 Silver

Trinitas Cellars CA All Other Red Varietals 2014 Contra Costa ‘Old Vine’ Mataro $35.00 Silver

Trinitas Cellars CA Petite Sirah – $33.00 – 38.99 2015 Contra Costa ‘Old Vine’ Petite Sirah $35.00 Double Gold

For more information and tickets, visit http://www.winejudging.com. For a full list of medal winning wines, click here.”

The Press
“Leer Vineyards Officially Becomes Campos Family Vineyards”
by Aly Brown
March 2, 2017

"Tears, cheers and toasts were seen all around Friday, Feb. 24, as the former Leer Vineyards officially became Campos Family Vineyards, and the oversized scissors sent the ceremonial ribbon fluttering to the ground.

"With escrow closed and Alcohol Beverage Control licensing all tied off, Ric and Michelle Campos were thrilled to climb the final steps to their business operation and celebrate with family, friends and the community as a whole.

58b87973c3f8f.image.png
"…‘We want the winery to serve the community, and we feel it will bless many different people in many different ways,’ said Ric.

“As far as the beverage of choice is concerned, the family plans to focus on estate wines, with five different varietals of grapes. They’re working with a winemaker in Lodi to bottle their wares and they recently released two wines – a Zinfandel and a Petite Sirah. After closing escrow, they worked diligently to upgrade just about everything while finalizing permits and licenses to serve alcohol…”[/i]

Campos Family Vineyards website

Trinitas Cellars currently offers two wines from Contra Costa County:

Trinitas 2013 “Old Vine” Mataro:

Vineyard Details: “Mataro (also known as Mourvèdre) is grown in the Gonsalves’ Vineyards in the eastern hills of Contra Costa and hand picked at 28 brix to hone in on mature and deeper flavor development on the vine. With vines dating back over 90-plus years, the mature vines produce low yields that are focused and concentrated in their flavors.”

Tasting Notes: “The 2013 Mataro is a beautiful wine with a luscious ruby red color. The nose is rich with bright notes of muddled strawberries, cinnamon sticks, and smoked Cherrywood. The palate is dense and structured. The big cherry, blueberry, and strawberry notes are bold and hit you in the cheeks with flavor. The Mataro also has hints of cedar, hickory, and vanilla, with a nice finish of cherries jubilee.”

Trinitas “Old Vine” Mataro Video:

Trinitas 2013 “Old Vine” Petite Sirah:

Vineyard Details: “The Trinitas Old Vine Petite Sirah comes from the Sandy Lane Vineyard in the town of Oakley in
Contra Costa County. Our growers, the Gonsalves family, have been growing grapes since 1892 here and some of the original vines are still producing our Petite Sirah. The vineyard has sandy soil, thus the name of the vineyard, which is important for two key reasons. First, phylloxera cannot live and breed in sandy soil types, this key fact allowed this vineyard to survive the multiple onslaughts of phylloxera that has plagued Northern California in the last 150 years. Secondly, the sandy soil allows for great drainage and promotes the vines forming strong and deep root systems. The old vines produce small tonnages per acre and tiny berries which both combine to create incredible intensity of structure and flavor.”

Tasting Notes: “This is ink in a bottle! The color is highly extracted from the 100+ year old vines. Too many people pass by the Petite Sirah in favor of Cabernet Sauvignon. This wine represents a excellent value for a full-bodied wine. The nose offers dense aromatics of fruitcake, brier, vanilla, baking spices, and strawberry. The palate is dominated by jammy blackberry, with notes of espresso and spice. The palate is structured with complex layers of uber ripe dark fruit, dried cherry, persistent oak and a vanilla tinged finish. Aged exclusively in American oak barrels.”

Trinitas “Old Vine” Petite Sirah Video:

Trinitas Cellars website