Consolidated off-the-beaten-path Burgundy TNs

Not Burgundy, but close, 2011 Vissoux Fleurie Poncie was delicious, like biting into a perfectly ripe cherry. Seems '11s have improved nicely in the bottle.
Agree Jeremy re the Vincent. Lovely wine.

Jeremy, thanks for your recommendation of Vincent in the Santenay thread awhile back. I got some of the 2010s and they were killer.

Cheers Keith. Glad you liked it.

1 Like

Indeed, Jeremy, those Jean-Marc Vincent wines are gems, including the whites. I recall Kermit Lynch, who imports the wines here, saying that it was Vincent’s Auxey-Duresses Blanc Les Hautes that really grabbed him. In any case, Jean-Marc Pillot’s 2012 Santenay “Les Champs Claude” may not reach the heights of Vincent’s Gravieres, but it certainly delivers a nice punch of Pinot Noir, Burgundy style. The nose shades toward the darker red fruit spectrum with a bright eucalyptus note. On the palate, it has good red fruit-concentration, density and grip. Relative to the Morey Cornieres above, this might be described as somewhat rustic, but for about $35 it delivers for mid-week red Burgundy. I can see this stretching out and becoming more transparent and interesting in 10-15 years as it certainly has the stuffing to age.

Wonderful thread, this is where I come to learn about Burgundy.

Great maker, cheaper dirt, terrific wine and sealed with screwcap.

The 2014 Les Heritiers du Comte Lafon Macon-Village is fine elegant and understated. There are notes of flint, citrus and white peach. It has good depth and detail and strong mineral line. There’s a touch of spice and its screwcapped to lock in all of the goodness.

I’ve really enjoyed the wines of Domaine Charles Audoin Marsannay - Champs Salomon, Charmes aux Prêtres, Le Clos de Jeu, Les Favières, Les Longeroies vineyards. I went deep on the 09 vintage and they are all drinking fine now. More on the elegant side for me. All of them around $25 locally.

Two from Monthelie. Edge goes to the Eric de Suremain but I’d be happy to drink either.

TN: 2010 Domaine Berthelemot Monthélie (France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Monthélie)

• 2010 Domaine Berthelemot Monthélie - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Monthélie (10/1/2015)
    This wine has deep cherry nose and flavor and shows a little closed up. It gets slightly muddy mid palate but is likely to get better in 5-6 years. (87 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

TN: 2011 Domaine de Suremain Monthélie Château de Monthélie

• 2011 Domaine de Suremain Monthélie Château de Monthélie - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Monthélie (10/1/2015)
    Upon opening this wine had a lovely floral note. Deep cherry nose and flavor this tightened up after a half hour open. Very nice attack, mid palate, for the vintage, this wine is very nice. (88 pts.)

Agreed, Tom, Audoin’s Marsannays are a lot of wine for $30 or so. Mark, thank you for the Monthelie notes. I have too little experience with the wines. My 2011 Henri Prudhon St.-Aubin Chateniere tonight was a good wine, with abundant yellow fruit and sufficient acids to keep it nicely framed, but it was missing any kind of mineral underpinning or citrus line, along the likes of which, in the 2010, really zings the strings. Chateniere is a well-exposed vineyard; maybe too much so in 2011.

I enjoyed a 2012 Château de la Charrière Santenay 1er Cru Clos Rousseau last week. It had lots of ripe cherry with a dash of cherry pit and some earthy notes. Palate is silky and round with good weight and plenty of acidic backbone. A well-balanced wine that ticks all the boxes for me at this price level (around $30). Last night we opened a 2010 Camille Giroud Marsannay Les Longeroies. The winemaker is David Croix, and I expected to like this more, given how much I enjoy his Domaine Des Croix wines. It was deft on its feet, with tart cherry notes and a nice mineral streak. It was well made but just felt a tad lightweight and anonymous. ($30-ish).

1 Like

The 2010 Prudhon St.-Aubin Rouge Sur le Sentier du Clou VV is the Volnay that one reads about. It is very lightly colored (as old vine cuvees many times are in my experience), but has a lovely perfume of red fruits. It strikes the palate fresh and cool and fans out nicely on the mid-palate and finish. All red fruits here, and pale at that. It has a forest-like component to it that should develop nicely with age. Really good wine for $30. The 2011 is okay, but a couple notches below this.

I liked the 2010 Prudhon St. Aubin 1er Cru Les Rouges Gorges so well that I bought a case. My last note from almost a year ago:
Funk, fennel/liquorice, dusty white pepper and rhubarb on the nose. On the palate, fennel, earth and bright red berry notes alternate. The mouthfeel is markedly buoyant and delicate while the wine has excellent balance and a moderately long finish. One of the better bargain burgundy qprs I’ve had .

I shall have to keep a look out for the Sur le Sentier bottling.

Indeed, Katrina, the Rouges Gorges is a lovely wine, as well, a blend of two 1er cru parcels. Side-by-side, the Sentier is more lightly colored and a bit higher toned.

TN: 2010 Bernard Munier Chambolle-Musigny

• 2010 Bernard Munier Chambolle-Musigny - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Chambolle-Musigny (10/3/2015)
    This wine poured out a light ruby. Initially this had a tomato-y nose and aroma but with air that became an orange peel which reminded me of some of Joe Davis’ Arcadian PNs. Lovely mouthfeel similar to Jeremy Holmes’ comments about “lacy”. An altogether different expression of burgundy for me but very delicious. (90 pts.)

These bottles I’ve posted here came from a mixed burg case offer from Elden Selections which averaged around $30/bottle. The offered was labelled “wines drinking well now”. Although I concur on many of the bottles I’ve opened, I think this Chambolle will age nicely.

[cheers.gif]

Not exactly Burgundy but this drinks like it from Fleurie. Paid $23 for it.

2011 Domaine De La Chapelle Des Bois Fleurie "Grand Pre"

My CT notes (chablis28)… 12/11/2014 rated 92 points: Very impressive and blind I’d be hard put to distinguish this from a top notch Mugnier village level Chambolle. Definitely going back for 2-3 more of these this weekend. Ethereal, finessed, subtle with depth and long. Perfection in Beaujolais - for my palate. Not larger scaled like some of the more admired $40 heavy hitters that don’t appeal to me. 110% in my wheel house. 92+ Paid $23 drinks like 4X that price. This rocks! 13% Alc. Imported by Neil Rosenthal. Classic Fleurie cherries everywhere. (759 views)

1 Like

Thank you for this note, Craig. I must take another look at this producer. They are also making a Morgon now, so it will be interesting to compare to the Fleurie.

We should have a thread on the most Arcadian-like Burgundies!

2010 Domaine Vincent Dureuil-Janthail Rully ‘En Guesnes’ is a mouthful to say, but a lovely expression. Quite mineral, pared back, but with god volume and density. Tannins are a little awkward at this stage, but there’s plenty of material and good purity.

This is what I always look for in burgundy! champagne.gif

Is Maison Ilan qualifying as off the beaten path? Or is that being too literal?