Consolidated off-the-beaten-path Burgundy TNs

James,
It is becoming more difficult to find downright bad Burgundies. I guess as the market is small here, it relies on a small number of importers to pick the eyes out of the region. I have found that there are genuinely lots of delicious offerings from less heralded appellations.
There are some however that I have never loved like Grivot, Bertagna and Buffet.
As for closed - Comte Armand, d’Angerville and Jadot often fit the bill.

Not precisely off the beaten path but I cracked a 15felletig hautes Cote de nuits that was beautiful. Jus delicious for $20 or whatever it cost.

Kent, thanks for that. Very interesting. I was half joking.

Why don’t you like those Domains? Bad wine or just not your style. I’ve had Grivot and thought it OK. I know some people who love it, others (Bill Nanson, for example) who don’t.

If it’s style, what do you look for? Big question I know!

2016 Cyprien Arlaud Bourgogne Hautes-Côtes de Nuits. Tasted this past week. Count me in as a fan.

1978 Potinet-Ampeau Pommard ‘Pezerolles’: Ex-cellar from Envoyer; very little sediment indicating aggressive filtering but a clear and well-preserved ruby. Initially thin and austere with tertiary fruit verging on lemony (I wonder how many would class this as a white wine if served blind) with a crispness in the mouth though somewhat underweight. Unfurled nicely with air, putting on a little body and adding a pleasing set of flavors - preserved plum, tea, soil, smoke, perhaps a touch of mushroom; surprisingly penetrating & persistent finish. Don’t hang on to these long if you’ve got any, but it’s a very pleasant drink now. Decent plus (my scale: bad, decent, good, excellent)

Saw this for what seemed liked a steal on Barcelona restaurant wine list. I don’t have any experience with this producer, but almost seemed like the platonic ideal of what “Burgudian” CA producers would like to achieve. Not exactly my style, but for those with experience, is this the producer’s style or the vintage?

2005 La Pousse d’Or Volnay 1er Cru Clos des 60 Ouvrées

Expressive black cherry and berry nose with just a kiss of vanilla. On the palate, vivid and pure rich red berries with a bit of spice. Silky mouthfeel with a long long finish. The acid definitely stands out right now. For me, missing the earthy depth that I look for, but this is still youthful. Time will tell.

Howard Cooper’s post on Juillot’s Bourgogne reminded I never outed a very good Bourgogne here: Confuron-Gindre. I had the ‘14 a few months ago out of bottle and the ‘15 at a wine store tasting a few weeks ago. Like a decent and recognizable Vosne village (spice, zest, darker reddish fruit) from vines that I understand are just outside the official boundary.

I drank this tonight. Excellent wine.

2014 Ramonet Bouzeron
Inasmuch as any bottle of Ramonet can be considered ‘off-the-beaten-path,’ this was a nice value find on a wine list; a powerful nose of lemon then salty with a refreshing grip from the acidity; linear and thrusting with not an ounce of fat to spare, yet never painful nor austere; not the last word in complexity; decent plus

[cheers.gif]

2014 Meo-Camuzet Fixin (Negociant)

I’ve tasted many examples of the Bourgogne and this is the exact opposite. Dense, meaty/gamey, smokey, ripe and juicy blackberry on the nose. Just slightly rustic and the oak spice is noticeable, but everything is well balanced and great acidity keeps it from being too heavy. Surprisingly elegant in a way.

While the profile of the Bourgogne would generally be more in my wheel house, this is the better Burgundy. And for the same price.

Revisited a 2015.
2015 JM Vincent Auxey-Duresses ‘Les Brettarins’ 1er
Tasted this on arrival and it had loads of potential, but tannins were a little to the fore. It has now settled down and has punchy red fruits, some savoury nuance and a silky mouthfeel with real presence and palate length. Just delicious and a really impressive wine. Still on the youthful side as you would expect but I would be more than happy to crack another tomorrow.

• 2010 Nicolas Rossignol Beaune 1er Cru Clos du Roi - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Beaune 1er Cru (6/17/2020)
    This opened up pretty quickly. Very nice nose and silky, soft texture. Darker fruit tones with some savory accents. The bottle was emptied quickly. I see I paid $33 for this, and that was a great deal. I wish I had more.

Sounds good Jeff and of course a great value.

Good to see a note on a 2010 Rossignol. Pretty much all of his wines that vintage were fairly big, and some a little rustic, on release.

I’m a huge fan of nico’s wines and loved a Clos des mooches 09 lately

Fun to visit this thread. Most of the wine listed is more expensive now but not exorbitantly so except HN. Ramonet reds are mostly >100 for 1er tho.

Looking really good now at 13yrs of age. Lovely integration and highly drinkable. These are still a good value.

Lots of wine here. Dense dark, lots of black plums and spice, tending towards the riper end of the spectrum, but smashable. Value plus.

1 Like

'10 Digoine has not come together quite yet, so I’ve kept my hands off the Montots, good to see the note. The Rossignol note from a few years ago reminds me that the Volnay 1ers are not ready yet either, even if drinkable with lots of air.