Complex wines and simple ingredients are kind of boring!

In general, I don’t really like grand cru or premier cru Burgundies with salmon. However, a lighter styled Bourgogne Rouge or something like that from a recent vintage with good acidity can work well with salmon IMHO. Most domestic PNs I have had are too big for salmon.

The best match between salmon and pinot noir that I have had was a Cotat Sancere Rose.

Do you like any red wine pairing with Salmon?

I almost always pull a Beaujolais from my wine fridge when we grill salmon. Love it.

I find that the green vegetables that I really like kill my palate for perhaps longer than most. Cucumber is even worse than artichokes, but both are pretty bad, and take a good hour before I can drink red wine. Asparagus may be half of that. Sugar is a quick recovery, as is spice in moderation, but I find as I have gotten older, my tolerance has gone way down, and if it is too spicy, it is also a good hour before I can drink wine again.

As for salmon, it is not a palate killer, but it does give the wine a metallic component. Not my favorite, but OK, and certainly not something I would serve with a better red wine. Rose champagne is better, but there is still a little bit going on.

We got into wine through food and while we really enjoy wine, the food comes for first for us so we pick out what we want to eat and then try to find a wine that will compliment. We get bored quickly so like to have a diverse set of wines on hand at all times to match a variety of dishes and styles. If we don’t have something that will work for us, water is usually the fall back. I agree with the op that aged Bordeaux can be limiting. It obviously can be paired with a variety of meat dishes but we don’t cook steak or lamb all that often at home these days and when we do there are some many other pairings that work as well that we tend to only pull Bordeaux a few times a year. We don’t believe in special occasion wines (our cellar is fair game every night of the week) but Bordeaux has kind of turned into that. When we go out to a restaurant where I know I’ll be ordering something like a rack of lamb, we tend to bring out Bordeaux for those nights.

I personally really enjoy thinking about wine is the context of a meal just like any of the other ingredients I’m putting into a dish. That said I totally get that others enjoy wine in different ways and don’t care as much about the meal itself of even drinking with food in the first place. It’s your wine, drink it any way you want.

As for Salmon, I have yet to find a red pairing that works as well or better than a white or rose so we go white or rose 100% of the time with salmon.

Although I agree with the advice of drinking what you want to, the OP does seem to want suggestions of more complex meals to go with complex wines, particularly Bordeaux and Burgundy. The obvious answer is to explore more classic French cooking, for example from Julia Child’s two volumes of Mastering the Art of French Cooking. Many of the recipes are quite complex and they frequently were designed to go with French wines. You can also explore regional cookbooks from Burgundy and the Dordogne (Bordeaux must have traditional, regional cooking, but I admit to being unaware of it). I can imagine this will be old hat to many including the original poster, but from that basis you can work with a lot of Continental cooking to pair with those wines. I don’t know what to do with Indian and Asian other than the rosés, rieslings, etc. that the OP already knows about. Since China and Japan have become markets for Bordeaux and Burgundy, I expect chefs are playing with the cuisine to create matches, but others will have to suggest how to find out about it. I expect Argentinian cooking would work well with those wines for obvious reasons.

I agree with those posters who laud lighter, European made Pinot Noirs with salmon. I don’t think most American PNs are really the same beast. Even the most Burgundian of them are more like fuller bodied Burgundies.

Purposefully keeping this “Edenesque”…

Enjoying wine is like enjoying the sex. Not every time has to be the perfect best time.

Wine is like pizza and like sex, even when it’s no so great, it’s still pretty good.

Establishing food/wine rules seems to be taking the unexpected away from the table.

Aged Bordeaux goes with loads of things. Any given experience may not equal what you recall as peak pairings, but who cares? It’s still big fun.

Aged Bordeaux plus Carls Jr is pretty awesome, so is aged Bordeaux plus…whatever.

Last night, we had had Pakistani food: naan, lamb curry, rice with cardamom, tandoori chicken, and vegetable khadai with a 2011 Rochioli River Block chard and then a 1986 Chateu Gloria. Worked our perfectly, but who would have predicted the beauty of how the food and wine worked their magic together?

Maybe have someone who has no idea what’s for dinner choose the wine, or pick a random wine even after you know and turn your mind loose on the fun of how the items really do pair.

Less thinking, more drinking! champagne.gif

It’s always food first then a wine to match for me. I also think PN is great with salmon though so I guess what do I know. CR sockeye and Cameron DH Pinot was excellent two nights ago and a big hit. But that is a richer salmon. Also like white burg for salmon.

We’ve has wine dinners at an authentic Sichuan place and didn’t have any clashes, freely ordering across the menu with quite a diverse range of wines. I could imagine clashes with young overripe wines, but none in our groups would bring those. Mature Bdx, Burgs, Barolo, Rieslings, Chards, etc. Of course that’s a clean hot, from ripe cried chiles and Sichuan peppers (and diners who aren’t overwhelmed by that heat level).

I do think there’s a clash of heat and tannin, but the huge clash is really from the massive pyrazine level of unripe chiles, such as jalapeno and serano. Green cardamom pods have the same sort of clash.

My standard salad dressing is rice vinegar, Bragg’s soy concoction and toasted sesame oil. Doesn’t clash with wine or linger. It’s my preference, anyway, so no compromise.

Grilled, marinaded artichokes are great and don’t have anywhere near the level of whatever that problematic compound is.

I strongly agree with this. A good parking can be a plus to both the food and the wine. But where I differ is that I can drink what many consider questionable pairings and still highly enjoy both the food and the wine. I especially don’t find that the “questionable” ingredients like asparagus or artichokes really affect the wine. If I am having a less than ideal pairing, I make sure to have some bread and especially drink water between bites or sips.

champagne.gif

Because you rock.

Larry Schaffer’s “drink what you like and eat what you like” sums it up for me. I’ll look for a good pairing but sometimes I just feel like Champagne and peanut M&Ms.

Greg doesn’t like PN, period. I often pair it with salmon. Also Bojo, Chablis, Cali Chard, Riesling, or Champagne depending on the prep and my mood. Sometimes I’m in the mood to eat salmon and drink a heavy red. Just do what Greg says and pause a bit between bites and sips. Haven’t had a summons from the pairing police yet.

Agree with you. I love hotdogs. Give me beer, whiskey, bdx, burg, riesling, water. All good with me.

Salmon teriyaki with PN. Good.