Completely sold on the dry brine turkey

I did a 20 lb bird, probably used about 1/2 cup kosher salt, rubbed in both cavities and sprinkled over the skin. Placed in the fridge overnight, lightly covered. Gave it a quick rinse in the morning before stuffing. One of the best birds I have cooked.

Ditto, I first learned it from the Zuni roast chicken recipe.

It’s also an integral part of my prime rib prep.

Though of course I (and you?) also salt the cavity of the bird so I don’t really know how much of the flavor comes from that and how much from the salt on the skin. I’ve also assumed the salt on the skin penetrates but I guess I’d have to skip salting the cavity to prove that and I’d rather not.

This.

You don’t want to use a heavy salt-based “rub” for thinner pieces of meat (i.e. flank steak vs. a tri-tip or a double-cut rib eye. So, you salt the pieces individually, then apply the rub. In practice, my rubs are generally made for specific cuts of meat, so it’s easy to conflate the two :smiley:

I’ve done wet brines a couple of times using a Home Depot paint bucket for the turkey, which makes it a bit easier to manage. I haven’t had any issues with rubbery or salty skin, but it’s a real pain in the ass to work with because it’s filled with water. Only thing I wet brine now is Thomas Keller’s fried chicken recipe from the Ad Hoc cookbook.

Other note on dry brine - consider adding baking powder to it. I believe Serious Eats had a 3 salt : 1 baking powder ratio and it worked great on my turkey.

What is the purpose of the baking powder?

Full article here → For the Crispiest Chicken (and Turkey) Skin, Grab the Baking Powder

Short answer:
“Baking powder, it turns out, is good for quite a lot more than baking. The slightly alkaline mixture raises the skin’s pH levels, which allows proteins to break down more efficiently, giving you crisper, more evenly browned results.* Simultaneously, it combines with the bird’s natural juices, forming carbon dioxide gas that leaves you with a layer of tiny bubbles. It’s these bubbles that increase the skin’s surface area, allowing it to develop a crunchy texture once cooked.”

i forgot to salt the cavity of the last chicken I did, I tied it up before I salted and i just said forget it. Ended up leaving it in the fridge for about 2.5 days, really flavorful, was surprised as it was one of the most flavorful chickens I’ve made.

Doing one today as well where i spatchcocked it and didn’t salt the cavity, will see how it turns out.

Turkey is never great, in my opinion. Traditional, yes. Food for thought? No.

My hosts had brined their turkey and someone was supposed to bring store-bought gravy. They did not. So I stepped up to the roasting pan, found very little fat, and poured off none. Just nice, lean drippings, there. Added some flour, made a nice (cooked) roux, and added their chicken stock they had on hand. A lovely gravy. But turkey.

Yeah, Merrill, as a kid, I always thought that the best culinary aspect of Thanksgiving was the fact that the leftover turkey made outstanding sandwiches.

This seems like pretty good evidence.

Take some tasty bread, spread it with mayonnaise, add sliced turkey, whole berry cranberry sauce, stuffing, and lettuce if you like. Best eaten hanging over the sink, as are many messy sandwiches.

I dry brined (I think by definition brine is salt and water) my turkey for Christmas for about 20 hours. I rubbed it into the breast, thigh and leg meat under the skin. I also unwrapped the bird the day before. I did not season the cavity. I fail to see how that would help. It turned out perfectly.

Last year I followed a recipe that called for 3 days of resting after applying the dry rub. It was no better and the poor thing looked like bone in jerky before cooking.