Comparing Bordeaux 2005 to more recent vintages.

I have found an easy way to score a Bordeaux vintage. The historical average high temperature in August is 81.5 degrees F. So an average vintage in Bordeaux has a score of 81.5. For every degree F over or under 81.5, multiply or divide by 1.108, for every half degree the square root of 1.108. Simple. It’s just math. This ranking seems to work for me.

Do you agree? If not, how do you score vintages by average high temperature in August?

3 Likes

We went to a tasting of 2005 Bordeaux in 2017 and most of the wines were nowhere near maturity, but very enjoyable. That being said, having the opportunity to taste Latour and D’Yquem was too good to pass up, regardless of where they were on the maturity curve. Langoa Barton was really, really good for the price then.

Ed

Bordeaux has dealt with first for centuries. Frost impacts quantity not quality. Not all of Bordeaux is impacted by frost.

As a general rule, the better terroir is not usually impacted. In the Medoc, the Gironde estuary offers warmth and protection. In the right bank, usually the vineyards with better elevations are not hit. Damage more often takes places outside those appellations.

Graves, Pessac Léognan, Sauternes and Barsac along with parts of the Cotes de Bordeaux were hit hard wiping out entire crops for 2021.

I think my point was more referring to more unusual or more extreme behaviours as climate change continues to impact. (Rather than just more frequent BAU) That being said, your post is (as ever) informative, thank you.

1 Like

It’s not just terroir, although a major factor, it’s also money. Grand Cru Medocs are able to sort any secondary growth grapes that occur after the first ones are destroyed by frost. Also have money for preventive measures, such as the candles that lit up the vineyards.

Yes it does. There are other factors of course, but the simple exercise of being able to leave grapes on the vine well into October is clearly a direct result of climate change.

Yeah, and clearly in an extremity, things like the gulf stream shutting down (if it happens) will have a monumental shift

I’ve felt this was about Branaire in general since at least the 2000 vintage.

1 Like

Brilliant. RTRAJ

What does “better” mean in this context? If wine is an art form (and for the prices we’re paying it should be), “better” depends on style and expression, and those things can be described and compared across eras but are difficult to rank. Some people seem to compare vintages by answering a hypothetical question like “if I threw a dart at a big list of Bordeaux chateau, purchased the randomly selected bottle, then drank it within 18 months how slick/smooth/fruity would it taste?”. That’s an interesting question for someone who wanders into the Bordeaux section of Total Wine, pulls a random bottle from the shelf, and drinks it that night (especially if that person likes international styled wines) but is less relevant here.

As it happens I am not that fond of 2005 as I find a lot of them (especially on the right bank) overextracted for my taste and the left bank still has not fully grown out of its tannin/acidity issues. But I am not convinced that 2015-2016 are “better” than 1985 or 1989. Hell, I’m not convinced they are better than 2004 which has given me some great experiences through the years. There has been a stylistic shift, really several stylistic shifts, over the decades in Bordeaux and each style has had certain strengths. I’d rather have people discuss those changes in detail than just repeat Bordeaux marketing stuff about how today is the most awesome period ever. Measured by $$$ invested and $$$ grossed it certainly is, but the question is whether that will correspond to greatness when the wines come to maturity.

I guess it depends. Do you mean the average of the daily August high temps or the absolute high temperature experienced in that 31 day period (which, not incidentally, the square root of is 5.567). Personally, I find the result is best resolved if I take 4/5 of the average of the daily highs divided by the absolute high temperature experienced in that 31 day period.

Many points in this thread I fully agree with. Jeff’s theory that 2010’s being better than 2005’s is one of them - at least thus far, the 2010’s have been more consistently enjoyable to me, whereas the 2005’s are just all over the place, no clue where to go with them or where they will be, develop, etc. Lesser bottlings are probably at peak now, but the better wines are either in some crazy dumb phase, or will never GET good, and frankly I’m more convinced of the latter, unfortunately.

2000 is so enjoyable right now, across the board. Wish I had more 85, 86, 89, even 95, but I didn’t start buying until later also, and backfilled a bit on 2010’s

I reserve on the main topic here as I have a hard time translating young wines (to me, 2005 and after are still in that camp) to ultimate quality after 25 years in bottle. But, I have a constant eye to back fill certain wines from 85, 86, 89, and 95. (I started buying around release of the 95 vintage and bought a few then when I had no idea what I liked.) You can still find good prices. (EDIT: maybe a bit harder now than even 2 years ago.) The thrill of the hunt.

Many bought big on 2005’s hype, yet the production was massive, so I’m guessing if they ever DO come around and fulfill the anticipated potential we all hoped for, we will be able to buy at release price or lower. Should have learned my lesson, but of course I never do - all other highly praised vintages I jump in with futures purchases like a good lemming

1 Like

Agreed - that was so good, ha ha!

1 Like

I honestly doubt you will regret having great Bordeaux in your cellar. You will be the old guy saying, “I paid X for this wine that now costs 5X. Kids these days…”

what i always wonder is if the same things that are helping bring the “lesser” wines up in quality level will also begin to hurt the well known names. increasing levels of ripeness help those that struggled to get ripeness but maybe not those that already had enough.

In a word, no. There is only so much a vintner can do and it is the same for small estates as for the most famous properties.

So many lower level 2000s are so good. Not just that they have fruit but the balance and complexity. I seriously question whether lower level modern wines are going to develop like that. I don’t see the 2005s developing that way either.

Why would you wonder?