Come to Napa- for Central Valley Blends?

Ken, my wines are TTB approved only with the AVA. No requirement to put Lodi on there.

I left out another reason why I donā€™t use Calistoga on my label. The Calistoga AVA is too large geographically, and there are far too many microclimates to try to establish what the terroir is. It becomes close to meaningless.

1 Like

Thanks, Adam. Iā€™d thought that Lodi had conjunctive labeling but I guess not.

In my experience TTB doesnā€™t care about conjunctive labeling*. I understand when Napa wines neglect to list ā€œNapa Valleyā€ on a label itā€™s the Napa Valley Vintners that writes the winemaker to get the issue corrected.

*My 2015 Stags Leap Cabernet label did not list Napa Valley, and I got it TTB approved. I realized my mistake when I was explaining complicated labeling laws to my mother-in-law!

1 Like

Donā€™t the AVA labeling rules primarily deal with % of grapes in the bottle?

Iā€™d say itā€™s as much protecting the brand as it is the grape growers. It (at least somewhat) limits the ability of companies from setting up a slick Napa tasting room and using that to launder Central Valley fruit to those who donā€™t know any better (not this crowd or most WBā€™s in general, but thereā€™s a huge segment of the lifestyle crowd that wouldnā€™t know the difference).

Hey Jason, the labeling laws govern a number of things unrelated to % of grapes- including AVA, Vintage %, volume, ABV, etc. Different statements on a bottle regarding the wine may or may not be ā€œlegal statementsā€ as well, that may affect the law covering % grapes, AVA%, vintage %, etc. For example, ā€œReserveā€ means nothing legally, but ā€˜Estate Bottledā€™ means a slue of requirements must be met including where the grapes are grown and where the wine is processed (interestingly, if a winery has an Estate vineyard in a separate AVA from where the winery is located, they can not legally use the term ā€œEstate Bottledā€ on the wine if the AVA is used!).

1 Like