Collecting wines not of the usual countries

Good timing on this thread.

Today I took delivery on some 2015 Kanonkop Paul Sauer with this idea very much at the forefront of my thinking. After my recent trip to South Africa I came away very impressed with a lot of the winemakers there. And even more impressed with the local pricing! I drank a couple 2009 vintages that were absolutely outstanding (the Morgenster still resonates). During my visit Kanonkop was selling their 2009 Pinotage for ~$30 (if memory serves). That’s quite expensive relative to most SA wines but it drank well worth 2x the price. I wish I purchased more.

I would not expect most SA wines to age like the true top shelf wines of the world but from the better winemakers, plenty are age worthy for a decade it would seem.

I’ve been trumpeting Portuguese table wines for a couple years now. Still working on my vertical of Herdade do Mouchao.

Greece is in the EU, as is Portugal.

According to this picture, it looks like your best bets for non-EU wine would be Switzerland, the southern states of the former Yugoslavia, Georgia, and Armenia.
eu-map.jpg