Collecting verticals

I love these. Not long after I joined my local group (around 1995), I did a Sassicaia vertical 1979-1990.

Later, another member did a totally blind tasting which turned out to be Ch. Montelena Estate cab from 1978-1996. Very impressive and educational.

Then I’ve done some verticals with Mannie Berk like Bartolo Mascarello, Vallana, and all the Giacosa Riservas from Asili and Falletto.

It’s a great way to learn about a wine.

I have no particular interest in unbroken verticals, but I like to have a lot of vintages of my favorite wines. Some of my best surprises have been lesser vintages, like Chave 86/87, La Conseillante 81, Haut Brion 94.

I didn’t say drink them!

I said I don’t buy them!

I love verticals, it’s an incredibly interesting way to gauge a property over the years, enjoy the surprises and find the overlooked. I think it becomes boring if you only do verticals, it needs to be part of a mix.

I fondly remember that Giacosa Santo Stefano vertical you put on at John Gilman’s place.

That was fun. And actually one of the more eye opening tastings. From that, I was able to decide what to buy, what to keep, and what to get rid of.

I have a few ‘interrupted’ verticals.
Australian: Mount Mary, Wendouree, Wantirna estate, Clonakilla
Burgundy: eg Rousseau
Italy: eg G Conterno,
Germany: J J Prum, Schloss Lieser