Coldest Syrah Vnyd in Calif??

2636E098-F428-4E4E-81AE-A9044594B2BD.jpeg

Below are the 2018 temps. A generally average year with a rather cool May.

Paul

Thanks for sharing that, Paul. Interesting how closely you track C-R.
Tom

Fort Ross-Seaview has to be on the cooler side where Failla makes a Syrah.

What a cool thread. Thanks!

It’s definitely not Gary’s. It’s not even the coldest Syrah site in the SLH. Double L is a few miles north of Gary’s and has a Syrah block.
Also not Ascona. It’s a pretty cool site, produces excellent wines, and is definitely a site to watch (like the Madson team) but like most SCM vineyards, it is a high variance site, cold in cool years but hotter in warm years.
I’m surprised no one has mentioned Clary Ranch. From speaking with Duncan, they pick at the bitter end of every season, and the wine almost never exceeds 12% alc. I believe it’s way out by Bodega Bay.
Ian

Good mention on Clary Ranch, Ian - definitely a cool, windy site. It’s not nearly as far west as the Bodega Bay area, though - probably 10-12 miles east of there and about 5 miles west of Petaluma in the Petaluma Gap region. [edit - it’s actually about 11 miles from Tomales Bay. Bodega Bay is a bit farther north up the coast.]

Yup, Ian.
ClaryRanch would be a good candidate. On the western outskirts of Petaluma, not quite as close to the Ocean as McEvoyRanch, though.
But looks about the same distance from the Pacific as QueSyrah.
Tom

McEvoy Ranch is indeed a bit closer to Tomales Bay than Clary Ranch (about 9.5 miles vs. 11 miles) though Clary Ranch is certainly more exposed to the cool Petaluma Gap wind. Que Syrah Vineyard is only about 5 miles from the Pacific Ocean north of Point Reyes. Of course distance to the coast alone is not the only factor - elevation is a key factor as well. For example, a number of the vineyards in the Fort Ross-Seaview AVA are fairly close to the ocean but at higher elevation, so they tend to be above the fogline. Many lower-elevation sites that are farther from the coast are often covered by fog in the mornings during the growing season.

I agree that Clary would be colder than McEvoy. McEvoy is pretty near me, and we’re both more sheltered by the hills. I think Clary is pretty exposed.

McEvoy pulled a lot of their vines. Not sure if the Syrah was pulled, though. It is also protected by the hill to the coast. I would bet that Grand Vent/Clary Ranch is quite a bit colder based on it being more windswept. I remember Paul Clary mentioning that it was the coldest site when he was on the Gap board.

Hadn’t heard about McEvoy Ranch pulling out vines - do you happen to know why?

They pulled some from Azaya, in nearby Hick’s Valley. I think that was a Pierce’s issue, but I could be wrong. At the home ranch, they have done some grafting after finding that some of their initial choices wouldn’t ripen, but I’m not aware of them pulling vines there.

Yes the pulled a bunch of vines. If you look a the satellite it is now almost all olive trees, only two very small blocks now. Rhia told me a while ago

Wow, the satellite view tells the story. Hardly any vines left there - that’s a shame. Olive oil is their primary business, but still…

Bryan said they pulled a bunch of stuff out about 4 years ago. The Syrah still shows on Google Maps.

They got a ton of Falanghina through us in '18, since they were considering putting some in.

I think Rhia had some Montepulciano for sale last fall.