Coho Salmon , Broccoli & Cauliflower with Volnay

Tonight’s dinner was wild Coho Salmon filets from La Montanita Co-Op, pan-grilled in Meyer Lemon olive oil and seasoned with SI Lemon-Pepper, lemon peel, tarragon, & chervil on the flesh side and Lemon-Pepper and coarse sea salt on the skin side. The flesh side was cooked first; when turned, a bit of Meyer lemon juice was squeezed over the flesh side. The pan stuff was de-glazed with a couple tablespoons of dry vermouth, and poured over the salmon. Veggie was broccoli and cauliflower boiled in Thai fish sauce, chicken stock, and garlic; and finished with butter and freshly ground Tellicherry black pepper.

All this was enjoyed with a slightly hard 2005 Comte Armand Volnay (village) - opened and poured into Riedel Sommelier Grande Bourgognes a half hour before the meal. Initially it was quite hard, so we decided to pour the rest through our Vinturi. It had a dark ruby color; tight nose and flavors of spicy red fruit; mid-palate of hard fruit; dry tannins, and reasonable acidity, and a long drying fruit finish. It was interesting - pouring through the Vinturi individually into our glasses and with swirling & time, the fruit opened some and the tannins receded; so it was enjoyable with the somewhat rich salmon. I don’t think I’ll open any more Comte Armand for some time.

I think I need to put Dick on ‘block’…I can’t handle his high falootin’ culinary lifestyle!

Why block, just enjoy vicariously.