Clos de Vougeot: rising stars?

****At recent La Paulee’s Y. Clerget and d’Eugenie both had stand out Clos Vougeots. *****

I would like to add my comments : My vote go to Eugenie…by far …as the new rising-star, if not already a new risen-star …since vintage 2006/2007 for the followings :

(1) the total holding of 1.37 ha is at the best part in CdV;

(2) my preferred producer Michel Mallard ( from Ladoix ) s now in charge of the wine making ( as chosen by Frederic Engerer - of Chateaux Latour ) with reasons;

(3) according to Insider Burgundy Edition 2, for the last few recently vintages Eugenie are performing 2 new green harvests and

(4) most burgundy critics agree CdV is the flag-ship for Eugenie …and not the G-Ech and/or Ech.

Thanks and I agree with your comments. It is easily available in Quebec, Canada and it is the best and great QPR for a CV. For example, one Eugenie for 3 Rion and I enjoy it year in and year out.

1 Like

I still buy some de la Tour VV frequently starting with 2008, when AM did a comprehensive tasting…just got the '19. Have actually consumed only '15 and '17 though, and I’ll be pretty old before I drink more.

Friends,

JJ Confuron always makes a very good to sometimes brilliant CV. The 2019 was superb. And at a decent price. Since LE GRAND MAUPERTUI is to my taste one of the better CV’s I would always mention ANNE GROS and ALIX MILLOT.

SINCERELY JOHAN

Biggest holding of Clos Vougeot is Grivot’s version who need ages to mature and I thoroughly enjoyed a few of the 2002 which is excellent. Second holding is the Mugneret Gibourg version which I have not tasted yet (except in cask) as I need to age them. I also started recently buying the Castagnier …without having tasted it (but I love his other wines). Maybe I should make a trial blending them to get the full mix (also have 3 bottles of 2010 Millot), this may give a surprising composite…

Johan…thanks for your comments for JJ Confuron CdV - specially about a decent prince.

I was curious, so I checked Wine-Searcher for the princes ( in Canadian dollars ) for availability in USA. I was surprised that you are right. The price for 2019 is at only CA$191.

Here are some other prices - for CdV 2019 :

M-Gibourg at CA $1528
D.Mortet at CA $749
Meo-Camuzet at $518
Grivot at CA 505

Eugenie at CA $432
Anne Gros at 382
N.Noellat at $317
Gros F & S at $300
Vougeraie at $257
De La Toru at CA $229
JJ Confuron at CA $191.

Daniel Rion CV 2017,2016,2015 are all beautiful, love it. Modest price.

Copped a 17 recently at $485 and thought it was a sweet deal, then remembered their lower prices from just a few years back. Ah.

1 Like