CLONYC 49 - Brian Loring and Rachel Silkowski comes east.

I wanted to drop this TN into some existing context so I am using this thread–seems like a good place to put it.

For those who don’t know Rachel Silkowski or her wines, Rasi, it’s a small project she started under Brian’s mentoring. The extent of the mentoring I am unsure of, but I know she worked for Brian for a few years and she is forging her way now I believe on her own. Probably no better person in the world of new era PN to work for than Brian, who cut his own path now more than a decade ago. I appreciate him very much for his generosity and kindness.

Back to the wine, this was Rachel’s second vintage, and as she had nothing in the dismal 2015 vintage to make, and with only a single bottle left of her 2013, I grabbed the 2014 tonight. She didn’t make much, a mere 3 barrels and I had a pair of these bottles so I got into one finally tonight. For a young woman, trying to make her way in a capital intensive business, I respect her tenacity. Her dad, Chris Silkowski, posts a bit around here but not often, and he too has been a big help. This is a unique, distinctive wine, one I would be jazzed to put into a blind PN event to let it stand on its own. It’s got a lot of acid and red fruits, which is not always the favorite around WBer land, but it’s in my sweet spot and I dig it.

• 2014 Rasi Wine Company Pinot Noir Three Barrels - USA, California, Central Coast, Sta. Rita Hills (8/22/2017)
    First of two that I bought back in 2015. It’s been a pleasure to watch Rachel grow through Brian’s support and now into her own voice. I twisted the top from this bottle about 2 hours ago and let it sit in the fridge. Poured a glass off now in the OC early evening air, letting it warm and aerate. No food paired, just me and the wine for now. Aromatic of soil, brown spice and toast, probably some oak mixing in here as well as some land, together. Lots sappy, sour cherry and raspberry fruit, sitting within a frame of quite prominent acidity. Immediate impression in a word is power, with old world notes coming through the glossy sour cherry and new world with the broader, glossier texture. There is amplitude here, and not by way of black fruits but intensity from the red. The finish? Hard cherry candy, soil/loam, cinnamon and cardamom. This is very unique. As to a drink window, not sure where this will go but all of the volume here will I am sure soften in time but I would rather enjoy this now, for the intensity and kind of marriage of the two worlds of PN.

Posted from CellarTracker

Hi Frank,

Thanks for the nice note. She’s up bottling her 2016 vintage this week and sent me these photos today. Both are from SRH. The second photo is the new Rasi label.

Silk
IMG958777.jpg
IMG958773.jpg

I for one am excited to be offered a new RASI Pinot.

Are you still doing CLONYC?

Upon request and for special circumstances, yes.
Hope you are well.