Christmas Wine

Might have been a limited time offer, I ordered a couple weeks back. Sorry

If you’re on the west coast, maybe consider K&L. There are some good prices on very good aged reds in their auctions.

I just bid on 2x 2013 Dominus Estate and then went out and bought this
A45AE182-2345-4CCB-82BD-47CCB24FF5B2.jpeg

+1 on the Montelena Estate, Corison, and Shaffer HSS. Great wines which rarely disappoint.

Interesting choice. 2000 BDX is in a funny spot at the minute if you ask me. I’d let that slumber and go with something else if you can.

No plans to drink it, which is why I I got the Ponet Canet

I would email Lisa Drinkward, tell her a bunch of WB recommended her wine. I would guess she could put you on the list.

Done!

I don´t think that (e.g.) a 1997 Chave is over budget … and it´s drinking great now.

Sheez, $500 for one bottle of red. The world is your oyster.

You don’t really mention, however, what kind of reds you like, whether you like modern or classic in style, whether you like them mature or still in diapers, etc.

From some of your posts on the wines you are tracking, and I guess even the Pontet, looks like you lean modern and lean Cali. Hard to go wrong with Dominus, but would be cool to get some with age, rather than the 2013. The Togni was a great recommendation. I just bought a magnum of Dominus for a client at $489. Maggies are fun as gifts and dinner parties.

At $500 - which is not a routine expense for a single bottle of wine for me - I’m looking at a more mature Chave or some mature Jamet, like the 1998 Jamet Cote Brune, both of which would be smokin with a roast. Or, I would follow David’s advice and find a 1986 Talbot, but then also its sister wine, the 1986 Gruaurd Larose, both spectacular, but really for the classicists.

But dang, you can find so much killer stuff at that price.

Exactly. With that kind of money to throw around, you could give it to people in a store and they will buy something nice. Perhaps that’s what he should do: walk in to a store, tell a customer they get $20 if they will help him spend $500. Job should be done in few minutes.

I like the idea of 86 Gruaud, and I would not consider touching a 2013 Dominus for at least a decade and probably too, so that would be out for me. I think the OP leans a bit riper, and would probably shy away from old wine where you can’t account for provenance. Drinkward Peschon is drinkable young and not too over the top. Young Corison and Togni , Like Dominus, are going to be pretty punishing

Christmas is a celebration, not a wine tasting.
Buy a 3L bottle of 2015 Henri Felettig Chambolle Musigny “Clos le Village” ($200), 20 cases of beer and invite all your neighbours around.

My family and neighbors enjoy good wine. They may not post on this board, and I don’t expect them to sit around providing their thoughts on each wine, but I still plan to open a wide-range of good wine to share (and if they don’t like any of them, plenty of beer and liquor available as well). You can still drink wine outside a formal tasting. As you said, it is a celebration after all…

Yes, great choice if available for $250. Remember he said $500 total for 2 bottles. Some of the recommendations here are for bottles in the $300 to $500 range.

I’ve let my Wine Searcher Pro sub expire, so I may be missing some offers, but I’m not seeing 1997 Chave under $320 retail in the US. Acker has a bottle for auction currently at $200, but it’s Acker.

Do you recommend Wine Searcher Pro sub? Who is Acker?

Your right, I was super vague on my initial post. I need to be more concise but sometimes I try not to be just for the potential of getting and trying a suggestion that I may have never tried and now like. My favorite wines so far are Blends that Grenache or Syrah heavy. My favorite wine at this point have been Brunellos. I also meant to say two bottles to share among 4 people.

If you buy any substantial quantity of wine and retailers can ship to your state, WS Pro is a no-brainer. Even at $60/year, [curmudgeon] twice the old price [/curmudgeon], it is worth it.

Acker is Acker, Merrill and Condit, a big auction house responsible for selling a lot of Rudy Kurniawan fakes. A fair number of us don’t want to have anything to do with them. If you get snowed in for a week this winter, you can read all about it here: RUDY KURNIAWAN & GLOBAL WINE AUCTION FRAUD THREAD (MERGED) - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers