Chicago Wine Shop recs/opinions

I typically go to Binny’s or Wine Discount Center. I have gone to some smaller shops such as Just Grapes and Perman Wine Selections at times, but Binny’s & WDC typically have a much wider selection and better prices. Others that I’ve been intrigued by are Howard’s (good to hear all the positive notes about this place), Knightsbridge and Mainstreet (in LaGrange).

I go to Just Grapes and Perman too, as both are by my house. Craig Perman is a nice guy and very knowledgeable. Just Grapes has occasional good sales, but I like going to try wine in there enoteca – usually can taste about 20 wines (for a fee) at any given time.

++++ for Howard!

Mainstreet is in La Grange.

I’ve had very good experiences with Flickinger over the years. Top notch customer service.

Knightsbridge, Howard’s, Flickinger, HDH are good mentions. Piccadilly down in Urbana is also very good.

Howard’s father, Leo Silverman, was the absolute gem of a man who sent me down the wine rabbit hole at the original Sam’s (Leo and Howard were what made Sam’s great in its day). Howard is scary knowledgeable. Can’t wait until I can visit his store next time in Chicago. Thanks for the tip.

Tom Henthorn

Still my favorite wine shopping experience

+1

+1 for Binnys (signup for the free Binnys card and there are 15% off coupons regularly)
+1 for Flickinger, HDH, Wine Discount

The Chicago Wine Company offers some great direct deals and auction steals as well (Wood Dale area). http://www.tcwc.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yeah, forgot about TCWC. I picked up an '89 Cascina Francia for not exactly a song, but it was a friggin good deal.

Other than Howard’s, does anyone have a suggestion of where to go to pre-order 2009 Burgs in Chicago? If not here, any suggestions for websites to look into? I am just starting to build my cellar and wanted to make sure I take a dive into this vintage.

Thanks.

Jimmy, I’d check out Knightsbridge in Northbrook. It’s right off I-94 in Northbrook.

For the suburbs - Binny’s

Binny’s actually is pretty weak for burgundy. I’venever been to Howard’s but Knightsbridge I believe gets the best allocations in the area. Binny’s does carry a poroper amount of Jadot. If you’re looking for DRC don’t try Binny’s. It’s not there. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the tips. I talked to Howard last night. He said that next week, he may circulate an email regarding Burg offers. Binnys is not doing pre-orders for Burgundy. Knightsbridge will have some but the guy in charge, Matt, was off today. So I am going to talk to them tomorrow.

yes it is

Just a joke.

I stopped by Howard’s Wine Cellar today. Howard is retiring at the end of August and will be having closeout prices throughout August.
Currently he has 20 percent off on wines from Germany, Austria, and Alsace. He has an excellent collection from these areas, although it has been picked over a bit compared with previous years.
I was pleased to walk out with a 2013 Nikolaihof Vom Stein Riesling Federspiel for under 30 bucks.

Chicago Wine Company has mentioned above.