Chicago Restaurants

I have Grace on my list but not likely soon. My daughter and her fiance -both chefs - loved 42 Grams and it’s BYOB.

My all time favorite meal was Schwa … work the work of reserving … just so very much fun as well as such very good food.

Heading there a week from Saturday for a delayed anniversary dinner with my wife. It’s been a while

Do you have any idea if they accommodate dietary restrictions? My Spidey sense says nyet.

They are handling my wife’s pescatarianism (per her)

Thanks David. That’s extremely helpful. I’d called before to ask, but you know how that story ends…

Would be very interested in a full report, including the wines (assuming you’re willing to share).

Happy anniversary.

Although 5:00 is very early. I like this slot at Alinea. You are the first to get every course so there are no spoilers. To me it makes a big deal. Also it will be dark when you leave. [cheers.gif]

George

Seconding the Happy Anniversary - and request for a full report.

It’s been too long since I’ve gone but no meal has ever topped it - it was a life changing meal for my daughter who moved back to Chicago to really dedicate herself to work as a chef after watching Carlson and crew cook their hearts out. She was part of the crew cooking at the latest Trotter Project benefit this week - proud mom here got all teary seeing her with her chef in the pictures. (couldn’t resist sharing that)

Hey David- how was the Blanchard???

Fine, not great, but I don’t judge restaurants on opening nights. Straight up French bistro. Huge room, fair wine list at this point. Definitely will return when they’ve had a chance to stretch their legs a bit.

Was with the wife, so I didn’t do the whole lobe of foie (they do have three preps in addition to the lobe). This time.

Hello, and thanks for the timely thread as I’ll be heading in with my little team in about a month with one evening for dinner in town with local friends… and they are asking me where I’d like to go. Some of you may recall the high praise I gave Bella Notte as the perfect “old-school Italian joint.” I know I would not mind a return (particularly with this group, not the most adventurous), but thought I’d check in on what’s new and different. I see some love above for Nico Osteria, and I’d like to know more about it. Also, I see no love for Ceres’ Table, which I find “interesting.” Anyway, open to suggestions, will have about 6 or 7 at the table, and I won’t be paying!

Thanks!
Andrew

What is a good recommendation for a non-Chicago style pizza place? I’m thinking coal or wood fired / Napoletana pizza.

Coalfire
Spacca Napoli
Pizzeria Da Nella
Piece (New Haven Style)

Thanks Corey!

My pleasure David.

Spacca Napoli is probably the best, though I enjoy the location of Piece. Generally speaking, Chicago has crap thin crust.

Love Spacca … just the very best but if you are looking to stay closer to the Loop or in River North, the pizza spot at Eataly does a good job as does La Madia.

Thanks Siun. Will check these out. We are going in about 3 weeks - can’t wait for all the good food!

Would any of the good pizza places mentioned above also make “Chicago deep dish pizza”? I ask because one the folks I am taking to Chicago has never been and has her heart set on trying that dreck (sorry, I meant “Chicago deep dish pizza”) and I am wondering if we can go somewhere that will satisfy her curiosity and at the same time allow me to have something decent. pileon

Cheers,
Andrew

I don’t know of any place that does thin crust and deep dish well. I like Lou Malnati’s best for deep dish. And when in Rome…

Not possible to find good deep dish and good thin in the same place.

I love Piece. We always get the same pizza. Clam and bacon.

Best deep dish I have had is Pequod’s. Everything else I have had is tied for last.

The insider pick for deep dish would be Burts Place, although I think I may have read it’s not open at the moment. Pequods is similar in style. Of the big downtown players I think Lou Malnatis is the pick.