Chicago Hotels

Try Mike Ditka’s Place you won’t regret it.

With all due respect to Albert, no.

At least tell him why. I have always found it to be a great value.

I love Frontera! Worth the wait in line, in my opinion. Especially if you go on chiles rellenos night. And the mezcal margaritas are very tasty.

If you miss out on Bayles’s places while in Chicago, his sandwich shops are always a worthwhile stop at O’Hare.

There are scores of better restaurants in the neighborhood. I don’t find the menu interesting at all – very much beef focused. If I want a steak I can go to any of two dozen better steakhouses. In short, it’s a more upscale version of Chili’s but without the charm.

There are loads of threads on Chicago restaurants as george suggested; if the OP has specific preferences I will give recommendations.

OK, so provide us with some alternatives for a good steak???

I prefer a less traditional steakhouse, so I would say David Burke’s or Bavette’s. If you what a more traditional steakhouse: Morton’, Gene & Georgetti or Gibson’s. If you end up at Gibson’s order the onion rings (not on the menu), they are sublime. If you’re looking at something a little cheaper, Wildfire (part of the Lettuce Entertain You empire) is very underrated.

Best steak I have ever had was at the Chop House but be prepared to shell-out $400-$500 for a dinner for 2. It was absolutely butter soft! If he is staying at the Allegro than I believe something with more value would be best.

Actually I like the Chop House but I always end up getting prime rib. That’s a good call.

+1 on Gibsons. A little pricer but it has not been consistent for me. It’s been a while since I ate at Gino’s. Morton’s you could have anywhere.

Morton’s is a chain, as is Capital Grille and Ruth’s Chris – I’d take the food at all of them over Ditka’s.

My favorite dinner/drinks nights out:

(1) The Publican and The Aviary, Grant Achatz’s cocktail bar - Fulton Market (near the Loop).

(2) Fat Rice (get there early) and Scofflaw (gin bar) or Longman & Eagle (whiskey) - Logan Square.

(3) Honky Tonk BBQ and The Punch House - Pilsen.

For steak, I recommend David Burke’s Primehouse or Bavette’s. Both have good corkage policies (Bavette’s is free if you sharea glass with another table) and better menus, IMHO.

JD

Another steak house I’ve had good luck at is Chicago Cut. But in the neighborhood Bavette’s rocks for atmosphere

FWIW, I think I may do this Saturday night although L&E would be for dining if the wait at Fat Rice is too long. Been meaning to try Scofflaw as my girlfriend likes gin.

Some good suggestions here already from other natives. I would add:

Mott Street

Nico (for drinks, or sit at the bar in the main dining room)

Trenchermen

Osteria Langhe

The Promontory (just opened down south, from the Longman folks)

The Winchester

Right next to Wrigley, your best bet is Uncommon Ground - they’ve just started brewing their own beer and it’s the best, cleanest food up there, I think.

If you are walking downtown, Yum Cha is new and worth popping into for a drink and dinner.

Enjoy

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. The hotel is close enough for us, i was just looking for something in the general vicinity. Steakhouses are not on the list, but thanks anyway.

One thing I am looking to try is a good Italian Beef Sandwich. It appears Mr. Beef and Bari are fairly close by. Anyone have a strong preference, or is there another place that is a must?

Howard- Will do if we have time. Jodi used to live in Chicago, so she has her own list, but I will mention it to her. I get to see a couple baseball games at Wrigley and am picking some places to eat.

Al’s No. 1 Beef on Ontario is also in the area. Not as good as Taylor Street, but worth a stop on the tour

I’ve never had an Italian beef at Bari. Mr. Beef is very reputable. There’s another place not far from you called Al’s (not the original location, that’s on Taylor Street). I don’t care for the location closest to you.

So if I had to pick…

I’d head to Taylor Street to go to Al’s and then go to Mario’s Italian lemonade (more or less across the street). But if you don’t want to drive, I’d probably head to Mr. Beef. If you end up going to Bari (which I am not dissing, I just can’t comment on quality) walk into D’Amato’s bakery (next door) and grab some cannolis or Italian cookies to go.

Thanks for the advice. If our travels take us near Taylor St, then Al’s it is, otherwise most likely Mr. Beef.