Châteauneuf-du-Pape producers

In case you aren’t aware, Beaucastel is really a very different beast because the blend typically includes 30% mourvedre and 10% syrah, and they use all 13 permitted grapes, including some white grapes. That’s pretty much unique. It has a different texture and flavor profile than wines that are 80+% grenache.

I had similar experiences in the 2000s, but the '16 is rocking – dense but balanced, with great structure. It will need some time in the cellar.

Question for people suggesting Vieux Telegraphe: have you had recent vintages? The past several all have a strong liqueur note to me and are VERY ripe. I think it’s far from the style that it used to be.

For me no on VT. My serious CdP tasting info generally refers to vintages 2007 and before.

There’s been no change in ownership since the 80s and the cellar master has been around since the mid aughts. It is changes in one of these things (particularly a change in ownership, including a generational change) that usually leads to a change in style. That doesn’t mean you are wrong, but it may be just what happened in a couple of vintages for your taste. If you feel the same about the next two, you should probably start to act accordingly.