Château Jean Faure - St.Emilion 2017

niiiiiice

Cool - talk about cross-pollination! Or Transatlantic pollination! Glad you like the 19 - it’s always a relief when something I rave about pleases others. It must be tough being a proper wine writer, such a responsibility when people buy the stuff you recommend. I shall look out for some 19 myself now.

1 Like

Finished the remainder last night with my son, also popped a 2010 Chateau La Providence. The Pomerol was clearly a step up, but my son Nick preferred the Jean Faure.

Great to see that you’re getting Nick into wine - quite right too and with an excellent teacher. Only my youngest daughter is showing signs of following in my footsteps, the other three so far not really interested.

May not apply to everyone in the US, but Wine.com has the 2020 Jean Faure as a pre-sale 6-pack for $37.97/bottle (CA warehouse, at least). I’m taking a flyer on it, now, based on the preceding commentary (thanks to all). It will be nice to have a Cab Franc-heavy, Duclos-influenced wine to follow over time. Some day, I’ll be able to compare this to my 2020 Les Perrierés de Lafleur.

I like that comparison very much, I had the 2019 Les Perrieres a couple months ago.

1 Like

Would be fun to have a comparative tasting of Cab Franc dominant Bordeaux. Always been a huge fan of some of these, some that are less than 50% but still generally healthy dollops, like Cheval Blanc, Figeac, Corbin Michotte, Ausone, VCC, etc.

Jean Faure, Moulin St Georges, and Les Perrieres are definite wines to follow.

Some others to consider, though admittedly they lean more modern than I prefer, are:

La Petite Gravet Aine - Up to 80% CF in some vintages. Recent vintages getting pretty big ratings from the modernist critics, think LPB, JD and Leve.

Le Dome
Clos St Julian
Trottevielle

Leve’s site notes a few that are 100% but I sense that they are impossible to find, like the special CF cuvees from Angelus and Trottevielle.

1 Like

Don’t forget Carmes HB, which is 52% CF and clocking in at 13.5%. But prices have gone up since Galloni’s :100:

1 Like

Agreed, totally forgot about that one. I struggle a bit with Carmes HB. I loved the prior version and felt that it truly expressed the CF profile. The new model is more glossy I think, but hard to say that it is not a very good wine. It’s quite tasty. I am warming up to it. The 2016 was delish. I will not buy 15 or 18, just not my vintage. Bought 17 but have not tried it. Will probably buy 19.

What vintage did Galloni anoint 100? Was it him or Martin?

1. Neil scored much lower, 94-96 in EP. WK gave it a 97.
1 Like

I’d recommend recent vintages of La Tour Figeac - 35% of so Cabernet Franc, now vinified with a touch of whole bunch.

4 Likes

Once again my friends @Julian_Marshall and @William_Kelley have led me down a proper path. I really have loved that 2019, so have been seeking other vintages. Not the easiest to find wine, but since the cepage can range from 50%-65% or more Cab Franc, worth seeking for this Chinon-nut.

And this 2009 pleases the soul.

Neither looks nor tastes like a 2009 St.Emilion.

Such a refreshing cool-climate nose, red currants, pepper spice with herbs, camp fire, earthy aromas and some mint. Hints of musk, a good funk. Palate is lithe, fruits mostly on the red spectrum buttressed by dry earthy ground cover. Crisp acid structure to this wine, tannins already melting. Some drying on the finish, suggesting this wine is early-maturing to me. Just a refreshing drink, not a blockbuster. Totally lovely. Would never guess this is a 2009.

(91 pts.)

4 Likes

That 09 sounds good! Have you tried the 2006 by any chance?