Charcoal Grill - Weber?

Folks,
I don’t need a smoker.
I have a Cookshack, so I’m good there.

Is there much of a difference between the Weber models?

Aren’t the charcoal trays good for moving around heat?

Feel free to educate me on wood charcoal…I was just gonna get a bag of charcoal… :grimacing:
Do you add them to the charcoal pile?

Alan, just getting a head start for our next wine dinner!:wink:

(Not ditching the gas grill)

it is by far better to use charcoal labelled “hardwood lump” charcoal over the briquettes. lump charcoal burns hotter and doesn’t contain the additives that briquettes have in order to bind them together (they’re basically sawdust bound together into a chunk form)

^^^

I’ll add that lump charcoal is more responsive to changes in oxygen/air flow. So, you can use the vents (upper and lower) on the Weber to control the heat or smoke.

I believe there is some regional nature to lump charcoal distribution so I’d check with a local owned grill store to get the best local recommendation for brand. I tend to use Royal Oak or B&B. I personally do not like the Cowboy Charcoal brand.

Applewood-smoked chicken thighs on the Weber tonight–perfection. [cheers.gif]

We have that one as well along with a stand alone kettle. Probably been through 6 or so over the years. Best grill out there.

I’m surrounded by apple and oak trees so I use that for smoke depending in what I’m cooking.

Weber Kettle is a great grill and it does its job well. I use a kamado now and miss the ash catcher at the bottom of the Weber. Take some time to experiment with the vents; it took ten years of cooking on it before I figured out the impact they made :0. PK Grill is the hottest grill on the market once again, but 2x price.

Charcoal trays/baskets are a must, as they allow you to set up deal zones really easily. Even better with salmon, as you can split the trays and then drop the fish in between.

There is no beating the convenience of gas, for certain, but I agree with most people here that the flavor difference justifies the extra 20 minutes and the smelly clothes and hair afterwards. That includes chicken breasts and thinner meats, as you can toss small pieces/chips of wood in on the fire that will impart a smoke flavor, especially if you’re running a wet marinade on the meat.

I’ve had the lump wood vs briquette argument with the best of them… and the argument for briquettes boils down to 1) cost and 2) consistent units of temp that can be arranged evenly for a fire. I’m not price sensitive enough to care about cost, but there is something to be said about consistent temp and an even coal bed. That said, I prefer lump myself and break down the coals when needed. I really don’t like cleaning up the filler that briquettes leave behind.

My first Weber lasted almost 20 years. Current one is pushing 10 years and no sign of rust.

Gas is convenient, but that’s about it. If I’m grilling some chicken as a background task, I use the gas grill. Steaks get charcoal. No reason not to have both options. I use a propane torch to light the charcoal, as Greg described above.

I’m all for getting one and getting some experience with it. Also nice to give your kids some experience as well so they can be grill masters in the future :slight_smile:

To facilitate indirect cooking and also a ferocious sear zone, get this: medium vortex for a 22" kettle

https://www.amazon.com/Vortex-Kettle-Smokey-Mountain-Medium/dp/B01GGDBLF2

simply the best grilled chicken and fish come off the kettle with vortex. I use Weber briquettes due to low ash and high heat. Also use Royal Oak lump. I put a piece of fruit wood atop the vortex for some flavored smoke.

That’s the one I have. Been a Weber user for over 35 years.

I prefer lump for grilling, but use briquettes for smoking. Do people use lump even for an indirect setup and smoking on the Weber? I find that the lump tends to catch to quick and burn too hot, or it doesn’t want to catch and burns out. So you have to start the pieces in a chimney, whereas briquettes you just add one and it will catch at a steady rate.

I had a gas grill for a few years and once the inside had rusted out I opted for a second Weber, the model with the cart and gas starter as recommended by Neal and Casey. I now have that one and a smaller kettle. Good to have two when grilling for a crowd, or to have one for vegetables and sides while the other is filled with meat and mains.

I have a Weber kettle and love it. It’s the stand-alone version, though, and I wish I had one with the attached table, as I have to bring over something on which to set utensils, or platters with the raw food before grilling, etc.

re: Steady rate was my point above, especially if you’re using the minion method to run a slow cook in an egg. I’ve had some challenges, especially with cheaper lump charcoal (i.e. Cowboy Charcoal and sometimes Royal Oak) with material temp fluctuation. I originally wrote it off to having a 10-12 year old kamado, but now believe it’s more due to the wood. Have been using premium lump (Fogo) and it’s a little better, while burning longer.

Info on Minion - http://www.dirtysmokebbq.com/2011/10/whats-minion-method-bbq-charcoal-smoking-meat.html

Charcoal!

I love my Webers.

I use a couple of 22 inch and a 26 inch.

The 26 inch is great and offers more stupid cooking stunts to try than the 22 inch. It is wort the extra cost.

The grills with the flip up wings are a must, as is the ash bucket thing on the bottom.

The side charcoal holders are good for low cooking, but not a necessity.

I have two of the model with the cart and the sideboard, one at home and one at our summer house. I looked at the 26", but ended with 22" as there are much more accessories available, I have a rotisserie at home and a pizza oven at our summer house. I am drooling at a kamado or the Weber Summit charcoal, I’ll probably get one sooner or later.

With a chimney and/or a blowtorch, it gets hot fast enough to not be an issue.

+1 on the flip-up wings.
I’ll add that I also like the charcoal holders when using a cast-iron pan on the barbie. It makes it easier to efficiently move coals in and out for temperature control.

I bought a “Super Cajun” 20 years ago when i moved into my house. I just looked it up and see they have added a few bells and whistles (and a lot of $ to the cost). It has been a great charcoal grill but it has rusted and is now immobile and at risk of collapsing so i think i will need to replace it soon. So this thread has been helpful,

https://www.cajungrill.com/product/super-cajun-grill/