Champagne - style assist

I’m sure there are Beserkers who can help me with this question. While I love a pretty broad range of Champagne pretty much everything I’m buying has been dry or mostly so. Vilmart, Laherte Freres, Chartogne-Taillet, Pol Roger, and a we bit of DP are my go-tos. My wife on the other hand is far less enthusiastic and we’ve figured out that what she likes have noticeable residual sugar or give the impression of off-dryness. So my question is: What producers/cuvees can you recommend that are both serious and lightly off-dry? Thanks!

4 Likes

Steve, in my mind, you already have nailed it well with Vilmart. If I was to recommend something for a style assist as they walked into this world of Champagne, this is where I would land them. You already have that one identified, so I am just confirming what you already have but suggesting the answer is in part already there for you.

4 Likes

Steve,
Do you recall any specific producers/bottlings your wife liked? “Slightly off-dry” can mean different things to different folks, especially if it’s relative to No Dosage/Extra Brut.

3 Likes

I think ripeness or barrel treatment would be reasonable directions to look in. Consider Hebrart’s Rive Gauche Rive Droite, Andre Clouet 1911, Larmandier-Bernier Vieilles Vignes du Levant, Billecart Sous Bois, Gaston Chiquet Blanc de Blanc d’Ay, Henri Goutorbe Special Club… those all scratch the itch when we’re looking for something a little “bigger”.

3 Likes

Veuve.

3 Likes

Vilmart is always my go to.

2 Likes

Of what’s not been mentioned above, Comtes and Laurent Perrier’s lineup. The Grand Siecle is a very nice wine. Vilmart would have also been a top choice for me.

1 Like

If you want to knock her socks off, find some 2002 Billecart Salmon Cuvée Nicolas Billecart, 2002 Piper Heidsieck Cuvée Rare, or '02/'06 Taittinger Comtes. Also, many of Paul Bara’s wines seem to be styled generously. Vilmart as has been mentioned. A recent 2009 Deutz Cuvée William Deutz was quite rich and delicious. 2014 Jose Dhondt Mes Vieilles Vignes Blanc de Blancs would scratch her itch for small $ if you can find it.
As Frank has mentioned in regard to non-dosed wines, they can show better when served cellar temperature or a little warmer. Some can be shrill when served too cold. You might try having her sample some champagne at different temperatures.

3 Likes

Rare is also a very good call.

3 Likes

Was going to say Rare but it has already been mentioned.

3 Likes

There are two ways to look at this. Some Champagnes are made with higher dose than almost all the wines talked about frequently on this board. Though one did pop up in a discussion a couple days ago. The funny thing is with these higher levels of dosage they actually call them “dry” at levels of 17-32 g/L. Here is a chart of he levels:

You can look for wines to try at those higher levels and see if that is what takes. Two that I can think of that I’ve seen with frequency are Piper-Heidsieck Cuvee Sublime(demi-sec) and Veuve Fourny “Extra Dry” 1er Cru.

If you simply mean producers that typically use higher average dosage than what you are used to then its probably going to be more about taste than the actual dosage since you already list a couple that go there. I would also suggest going back and trying anything from the bigger houses. They have been in the business of making pleasing products for non-geeks for a long time. They have been successful at it and often make better wines than a lot of us want to admit.

There are a couple of smaller houses that come to my mind. Paul Bara is often a higher dosage than many would admit to liking but I think they typically do a good job balancing it with acid and fruit expression. Goutorbe is also a producer of bigger wines. His can be somewhat hit or miss but when they are on they are attention grabbing.

1 Like

Interesting chart on sugar. I had no idea how much there is in even brut and eb. Thanks for the recommendations, I’ll try those and see what she thinks.

Thanks for the recommendations. We’ll try them. I agree on the temperature thing, I’ve always enjoyed mine warming in the glass if they were served very cold.

Regarding Vilmart, I’ve tried a bunch of Coeur du Cuvee, which I like a great deal, but not so much Grand Cellier d’Or. Do you think the GCdO comes off significantly less dry than the CdC or are they more consistent in that department? Thanks

Unfortunately I haven’t kept good notes on that so far. Champagne hasn’t been a major focus in my collection and drinking so I guess my attention budget has been elsewhere until fairly recently.

I would characterize them as simillar in how they express fruit and flavor. CdC is just coiled up more. I love them both with the GCdO maybe a little more unctuous.

2 Likes

That’s fair.

The reason I was asking is as I stated up-thread: “slightly off-dry” can mean so many things. As far as I can tell, every single recommendation you’ve received thus far has been at the Brut level (if not Extra Brut, with the suggestion you drink it more warm, or try ___ with it, or try ____ with it). For many folks who prefer “noticeable residual sugar” or “the impression of off-dryness” the Brut level is going to be too dry ---- for those folks, the best suggestion in this thread so far may be Veuve.

That having been said, there are many folks (I’m one of them) who consider some/many Brut level sparklers to be too sweet, so there is the chance that some/many of the Brut level sparklers recommended in this thread will be to your wife’s liking. Good luck with your search!

2 Likes

Steve, take a look at the Billecart-Salmon Brut Reserve and Demi-Sec offerings. Same wine except for dosage. I like the Brut Reserve especially for the more than usual amount of Pinot Meunier. Its not very dry, but dry, flavorful, and delicious IMO. The Demi-Sec is just as it is labelled and your wife might like this off-dry version. Good luck.

1 Like

Definitely in the off dry camp and not bad

1 Like

An older, somewhat related thread. FWIW

1 Like