Champagne Help

Also, in my experience, young wines can jump about a bit. One person could taste a bottle one place and it is great. Another person could taste another bottle elsewhere and whether as a result of storage, just being shipped in and not settled down yet, barometric pressure, etc., it could be less good another day.

Taking bottle variation into account on the Comtes (I’ve had at least one odd bottle at a tasting), I’m with you.

Follow up here -

Great call on splitting up the champagne purchases between Dom Perignon and Comtes.

We drank more of the Comtes than the Dom and I definitely got more comments (all positive) about that wine. It was the crowd favorite.

As for bottle variation, I did notice one of the Comtes was closed or muted. I am not sure if it was too cold or not. I didn’t have time to dive into it. The other bottles were absolutely amazing and they are definitely ready to drink right now. I need to stock up on it…

While I am not a champagne expert, I think the Dom needs a few years (~5?). It is a gorgeous young wine and you can tell that it will be a knock out (for at least my taste buds) in a few years.

Comtes - 97 points & Mature
Dom - 95+ (2 points if it matures properly)

Thank you again.

Glad it worked out well. The 2006 CdC Brut Rose is also excellent. If you get an opportunity to try it, don’t miss it.

I have not had (and likely won’t have) the 08, but the 09 is a stupendous bottle of wine. I am happy (but not surprised) to see you sticking up for your own palate and offering a contrarian view, Brad. Keep up the good work.

For current drinking, I definitely would go for the ‘09 Cristal over the ‘08. I suspect the ‘08 will age well better; but, only time will really tell.

No love for the 07 CdC?

Too late for a curve ball? How about Krug?

Retry the Comtes in 10+ years. I think you’ll be happy you did. Aged Comtes is a true joy but it requires considerable willpower to achieve,

Good idea. Not long after they were released we had a dinner with the 2006 Comtes and the MV Krug 164eme as starters. The group went through 3 bottles of the Krug and 1.5 of the Comtes.