Ceritas 2012 Porter Bass Chardonnay

Drinking an '11 Ceritas PB right now, with Big Green Egg Porcetta (and Red Broiler Chicken).
It’s like Baby Bear’s porridge: not too acidic, not too flat, not too full, not too austere…Just Right!!!

Ceritas was pouring the 2013 Porter Bass Chardonnay along with the other wines about to offered at West of West this past weekend. Such purity and clarity, one of my WOTD. Awesome stuff.

And there goes my resolve to cut back to 3 bottles this release…

I just had a bottle of the 2012 PB chard from Ceritas this past weekend and absolutely loved it. It definitely benefited from a bit of air time.

• 2012 Ceritas Chardonnay Porter-Bass Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (8/2/2015)
    Pale yellow color. Initially a bit tight on the nose but after about 30 mins or so in the glass it really opened up to reveal some lemon custard, marshmallow, toasted hazelnut and some wet stone. Mostly citrus driven on the palate with strong minerality and a bit of light oak. High acidity but in balance and a clean mouthfeel and nice finish. Lovely chardonnay. (92 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Had a bottle with crabs for early dinner, still fantastic.

I have 6 bottles of the 2012 Heintz and haven’t opened one yet. Anyone have experience with that one?

The only bottle I opened of that wine was back in January 2012, and I did not like it at all. I found it very disjointed and harsh. Perhaps a year+ in the cellar will have brought it into focus. Other folks seem to like it.

I guess I need to try this again…was kind of a meh wine to me a year ago.

Outpobegaing Pobega: most impressive!

Thanks - bringing home the point “try before you buy”. I’ll have to dig one of these out of my offsite storage and give it a whirl.

Oops…2015.

Not the '12, but did drink the '10 Friday night and it was without a doubt the closest thing to a nice Chablis I’ve had from CA.

BTW, Ceritas wines beg for patience. I have found that they, both Pinots and Chards, perform best with a minimum of 5 years from vintage.

I go for the PMR as well–agree that the acidity can get too high in some of the others–maybe it was the Heintz, but it was screaming, though maybe too young. (Maybe mix it with a little Liquid Farm, which I also like, but can sometimes be a touch flabby?)

(For the literal-minded, the last is but a joke.)

+1 on the '10 Heintz. I opened a bottle the weekend before last and loved it (as did my wife).

• 2011 Ceritas Chardonnay Porter-Bass Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (4/29/2016)
    It’s been a good 1.5 years since our last bottle. Similar to my previous note, silky, but tart lemon on the finish. It’s still a little too much acid for me, but it has toned down. If you like acidic citrus, this wine is for you. I’ll hold our last bottle for a few more years to see how it develops.

Nice note Glenn. The only domestic Chardonnay along with Rhys and Rivers Marie I still buy.

Checked in last night, again with local Dungeness crabs. Thes crabs were the best we have had in several seasons: hefty, saline & rich.

12 P-B is now entering middle-aged, and in need of a few hours in a decanter. Still glorious but not the hedonistic demon Chardonnay it was upon release. Wine is more balanced and elegant now, no longer needing to be center stage with a wireless mic. Swallow or two of wine left overnight in a Zalto Burg has a singing nose this morning.

• 2012 Ceritas Chardonnay Porter-Bass Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (6/16/2017)
    A touch of reduction quickly blew off. Lemon, zest, acid bite, that Chablis feel. This is drinking very well now with so sign of dropping off and possibly some improvement over next five years. Drink now or later. Beautiful. (94 pts.)

We opened '14 Marena this week just to check-in.
Fantastic already, and plenty acidic.