Censorship by Huet?

Alan,
Chris is one of the most measured and careful wine writers I know of. Honest, but measured.

Again, I don’t see how the paywall mitigates this misstep.

I love the rare case when a WB thread saves me money. Having learned almost everything I know about Huet from Chris’s site, I won’t be buying until there’s a change in their bizarre policy.

Chris, does it not make sense that a producer would have a higher tolerance for negative comments from an “amateur,” but be less accepting of those comments from someone who uses their access and inside information to make money?

So, what’s your reasoning for the same treatment to Jim, then?

The paywall and the fact that Chris is now a paid critic really is a red herring here.

Very disappointing. I guess I’ll stick to buying past vintages until the Hwangs retract and apologize to Jim and Chris.

Don’t have one, I never heard of him before this thread. It probably shoots a pretty big hole in what I was saying, though I think there is a difference :wink:

Shocking and distressing.
And I will only buy older vintages of Huet from this point forward.

This is sad, but to some degree not surprising. The info on the interwebz about the pressure the Huang’s placed on Piguet to produce more Sec regardless of vintage conditions was a red flag that indicated ownership would control more than just business operations.

I enjoy both styles, but want the winemaker to make the judgment about picking, blending etc. based on vintage and crop conditions, not to appease marketing demands of the owner.

Whoever mentioned ego in these discussions is correct: I’ve seen it lead managers/owners to make idiotic decisions that inflict needless.

I bought a lot of Huet between the 2007 and 2010 vintages, but have not bought anything after Pinguet’s last vintage. I still plan to pick up a few 2011 LM Demi Sec’s, since it’s my son’s birth year, but otherwise I have not been motivated to purchase the 2011’s, and based on recent info I might skip the 2012’s as well.

I might start seeking out newer producers, not that they, or sadly Chidaine and Pinon et al, a lot of wine to sell either!

I’ve been a fan of the Wine Doctor for years. I still am. I’ve also very much enjoyed the wines of Huet, and have met Anthony Hwang a couple of times and had a long long lunch with him in Manila a few years ago - he is a very charming and humble man - a gentleman in my book. Anthony is, by the way, from the Philippines, of Chinese descent, but moved to the US much earlier in life, and became very successful there in a non-wine-related industry - he can still understand our native tongue, though he’s been living away for many decades. I’ve never met his daughter; and am saddened with these reports.

+1

I keep hoping the Hwangs respond to this thread

What a ridiculous, small-minded attitude on the part of Huet.

I’m really curious to hear their response, not that I distrust the reports, but because it seems prudent to have statements from both sides before coming to a decision. The allegations though are very sad–Huet is an incredible producer with a fantastic reputation (and it sounds from this thread like there’s now going to be a lot more competition for their older wines at auction).

In my book Kris is golden. He has always been passionate but fair and non-nonsense. Seems a true shame as he has been a champion of both Huet and the region.

My guess is that if enough people express their discontent to the main email, it will get to the powers that be.

For those that want to let them know how you feel directly, the email address listed on their website is:

contact@huet-echansonne.com

[stirthepothal.gif]

I feel compelled to comment here, although I am not sure I have anything new to say, as I wrote what I felt I needed to write in my blog post.

I feel I should comment just to say thanks for the many compliments that are contained within many of the above posts.

Also, I quite agree with the need to have two sides to every story, and so I have total respect for that desire. I am quite content with everything I wrote though, having spent two weeks mulling it over (and taking a week away from it all, with the family) before I posted my account, and thus will stand by all that is written in my blog post, which was based on notes written immediately after the meeting (as I was asked not to type during the conversation).

Thanks again.

Chris, with you and Jim Budd both having had the problem, and given the fact that, despite everything, the comments made by both of you are measured and reflective of sadness, rather than anger, over the situation, it is hard to see how there could be another side to this story worth hearing. However, I am sure that, like you, we would be all ears should the Hwangs speak, as unlikely as that may be. It seems that a Hwang family meeting is in order. If the Hwangs want to play on the world wine stage, they must play by the rules and customs or risk damage to their investment. Unless they can sell the entire Huet output at good prices in China, of course! :slight_smile:

We are experiencing something equally ugly here with the Giacosa winery. No sale involved, but rather, a daughter not at all equal to the task of succeeding a legendary father has jeopardized the future of one of the Piemonte’s three greatest wineries, and managed not to make any wine in two of the best vintages of the past decade. Transition in the wine business can be rough sometimes…

Bill - needless to say, I love your comments… [cheers.gif]

If you believe transition in the wine business can be ought sometimes, wait until I tell ou stories of of the transition of the throne to many of his sons during the last moments of the many legendary Kings during the Waring States time in China history.

We agree on this. Huet has put into question the bona fides of every professional review written about their wine. To use an extreme hyperbole, don’t you think Kim Jong Un’s other relatives decided to toe the line after he executed his uncle for treason. If a professional writes a good review of Huet, I have to ask whether he has had any access to the winery or its personnel, or is he just buying bottles off the shelf and is completely on his own. If the former, his review is now made suspect by Huet without any fault of his, even if he is 1000% honest.

Which is the third winery?
For me, it has always been G. Conterno, Giacosa and the rest. That’s not to say that there aren’t great wines being made elsewhere, but no other winery I could think of would come close to those two.