CellarTracker moving to subscription model?

Wish I knew what this meant. Is it only a boomer thing to raise an eyebrow that someone could see words attributed to you that you didn’t actually write? I get that it’s usually done in humor, but not everyone’s humor is the same.

I think we covered that subject already in this same thread. :wink:

1 Like

At a much lower rate then they currently are. There is no reason for review providers to undersell their product in a bundle with CT, and that’s not even after the issues with WA not being integrated over fears that their reviews will not be safe on CT servers.

As noted multiple times above is CT forced everyone to pay, then the majority of people would simply stop using the tool, leaving a huge gap in the creation of tasting notes, further suppressing value to many who don’t use the tool just for cellar management purposes, causing still more people to leave l. It’s a death spiral.

So sure, the average “hypothetical” price would come down, but only in a vacuum where that price can successfully be charged without alienating most of the user base.

I pay, and am happy to (though, not the $500 a year that the platform suggests I should). I absolutely understand why CT doesn’t require everyone to,

FWIW, I expect Eric will figure out a pricing model, adapting his philosophy to his new services and new capabilities on mobile. TBH, his pricing has been pretty generous and flexible so far.

-Al

I don’t manage my collection in CT, but I often use CT to look up notes. I love CT and are pretty excited to see the new direction.

If people like it or not, then focusing on the mobile version makes 100% sense in this day and age.

A propos, as a developer, I think “mobile first”-development is one of the dumbest things that has happened to the development scene in a long time.

It is definitely very important to have mobile-friendly capabilities at the best possible level, but I feel that due to the mobile first-mindset, the desktop usability has gone down the drain with so many websites and services. It seems many developers think that “mobile first” is synonymous with “ignore the rest”.

14 Likes

Given that this is a company that has maintained a Classic UI that looks straight out of the 1990s, I doubt we can say that this is a company that will simply abandon a segment of users as they focus on the next big thing.

3 Likes

Do moderators have the authority to change it - something like “CellarTracker Moving to Subscription Model” instead? @ToddFrench

1 Like

Well… not if your target application is mobile :smile:! In which case, desktop first development is one of the dumbest things that has happened to the development scene.

2 Likes

Was talking more from a business perspective.
If I was Eric I would have focused on mobile too. How many really uses their laptop for everyday things these days if we start looking at a younger(ish) audience? I work as a developer, and even I rarely use my laptop outside of work. Outside of my more geeky friends, everyone I know mainly uses their phones for everything these days. So if I was going to grow a business like this I would definitely move in the same direction.

3 Likes

Interestingly, when I see people doing more extensive inventory and organizing inside my locker facility, they are almost always using a laptop. Me, I have a printed list and a pen lol.

I do, my “tablet” is a 13” MacBook Air :joy:. But I have to admit that I’m a terrible example when it comes to adapting new technologies, even though I work in technology. Like we say in Argentina “Blacksmith’s home, wooden knives”

1 Like

Laptops are acceptable! It’s the iPads that are problematic. The only people that use them are elementary schoolers and boomers.

1 Like

Do the moderators have to post FIFY?

I actually don’t disagree with Otto from a pure UX perspective. And I am sure most here will use a laptop to manage their big *** cellars :grinning:.
But what makes CT unique is their data, not their software (no offence). It is fairly “easy” to copy paste a lot of functionality from CT with a small capable team of programmers.

From an investment point of view, I would imagine it would be a hard sell without a big focus on mobile. Now I don’t know anything about Erics business, and I might be totally wrong. But based on my own experience and knowledge I would have went in the same direction as Eric, that is all I am saying.

2 Likes

But are you young’ish? :wink:

I doubt the laptop/desktop interface is going away, wouldn’t make sense. Mobile first seems to apply to new features that haven’t been revealed.

-Al

1 Like

Seriously? I do 90% of everything on an ipad. Only time I go to laptop is for something like word, excel, photo editing, etc. or just to sit in an actual chair at my desk lol. Only time I use my phone for anything is when I’m walking, or traveling.

Is there something about a larger tablet that’s unappetizing to younger users? That makes no sense to me. But then I’m a boomer haha.

Ahem - GenX here and love my iPad.