Cellartracker Fun! What were You Drinking 10 Years Ago?

Ten years ago was around the time I went to a tasting of Dom Ruinart wines. Prior to that, I also did not really like Champagne. But that tasting was a real eye-opener. The wines were spectacular, esp. a 1979 rose from magnum.

My scores were a little high back then. [roll-eyes.gif]

• NV Roederer Estate Brut Anderson Valley - USA, California, North Coast, Anderson Valley (1/25/2007)
    Intense and alive bubbles, that pop and melt away(LOVE THAT!). Refreshing green apple, pear fruit…crisp lemon/lime spritz, hazelnut, toast. (93 pts.)
  • 2004 Schild Estate Shiraz - Australia, South Australia, Barossa, Barossa Valley (1/22/2007)
    Damn…this is good! I was sceptical with all the talk of over-scored, over-hyped…but this is pretty nice juice! Rich and juicy blackberry/wild berry fruit…HUGE exotic spice, dried wintergreen tobacco, cherry cordials, kirsch, toffee. Full bodied, full flavored, somewhat exotic, well integrated woods. Not too sweet/oaked/over the top. I think this drinks wonderful! Especially for $24! (96 pts.)
  • 2002 Leeuwin Estate Chardonnay Art Series - Australia, Western Australia, South West Australia, Margaret River (1/22/2007)
    Rich and full of tropical fruit, pears, white honey butter, mineral tones, exotic wood spice, floral infused oil. Great sharp lemon/lime acidity, creamed up with the rich fruit, and balanced wood. Still room for plenty of age…but tasty now! (95 pts.)
  • 2005 Patz & Hall Chardonnay Durell Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Valley (1/19/2007)
    14.2% alc. Rich and waxy apple, pineapple fruit…smoked hazelnut, vanilla honey butter, white flower, toast. Has a slight tingle, creamy mouthfeel. Reminds me of a Roussanne a little. Great flavors/feel/finish…but needs a little time to settle up. Will be wonderful in a year or two! (93 pts.)
  • 2005 Loring Wine Company Pinot Noir Durell Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (1/19/2007)
    13.3% alc. Med dark cranberry in color. Wonderful potpourri spice, raspberry puree nose…soft and mellow in the mouth, with a slight tingle. Juicy redberry, rhubarb, fruit, sweet cherry spice, some tobacco, herbs. Very subtle wine! Has a little tingle, more citrus acid, less funk than others. Flavors are nice…just light. “Pretty girl in a pink dress” wine. Would like to see this again next year. (92 pts.)
  • 2004 Landmark Pinot Noir Grand Detour - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (1/11/2007)
    The 2004 GD is brighter, more structured than past one’s I’ve had. Fresh crushed red berries, sweet earth tea spices, tart cherry/raspberry acidity, dried herb/tobacco leaves. Nice mineral, a little stemmy in tannin. One thing I really love in the Landmark wines, are the florals! Go there in the Summer, and the smell of florals is abundant…especially wisteria!!! This wine will gain even more…but good now! (93 pts.)
  • 2000 Roberto Voerzio Langhe Nebbiolo Vigna Serra - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Langhe DOC (1/4/2007)
    Made from 80% Nebbiolo, 10% Barbera, 10% Cabernet Sauvignon…it has a dark garnet, rustic plum color. Wonderful dark wooded spice, deep plum, cherry, dried roses, blood orange nose. The fruit is rich and SO alive! Same flavors as the nose, very floral, earthed, crisp acid, wonderful exotic spices. Has some tobacco, chocolate, anise, and white pepper spice as well. The flavors just roll on and on and on…GREAT WINE!!! (96 pts.)
  • 2002 Roar Pinot Noir Garys’ Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Lucia Highlands (1/3/2007)
    Damn…how good is this! Explodes with intense wild berry, black raspberry fruit…tingly citrus acidity, sweet herbs/spices. Still has that sourness, ala cranberries…but backed up nicely with the dried tobacco, exotic woods, sweet vanilla cherry cola. Very intense wine here! Acidity, spices, florals just EXPLODE! Should do very well with more age. And yes…even has that “Gary’s Referness” Beautiful ROAR! (95 pts.)
  • 2000 Marcassin Pinot Noir Blue-Slide Ridge Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (1/1/2007)
    My first Marcassin Pinot…lived up to the hype! Deep deep dark spice…smooth as hell ripe wild berry/plum cherry fruit, soft earthy tannin, amazing smoky exotic wood spice. Wonderful florals, earth tones. Started out a little muted on the nose, and the flavors didn’t explode…but after an hour(decanted), WOW! Total contemplation! (97 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

I wasn’t old enough to drink.

Fun thread.

I was all over the place in 2007. Probably still am.

• 2004 Alban Vineyards Syrah Reva Alban Estate Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Edna Valley
    Color of black pen ink with purple legs, this rich, full bodied wine has lush aromas of dark berry, black cherry, forest fire, and sweet raw meat. On the palate, delicious thick velvet of brambly dark berries, peppercorn, pipe tobacco, and bacon fat show with considerable complexity. There’s a hint of warm cedar on the 45-second finish. Rico Suave. Yet, firm and tannic at the same time. I had pretty high expectations, and Reva doesn’t disappoint. This is the best CA Rhone variety I’ve tasted. Still, it’s a young wine which may even show better in 5-6 years. I think I will let the other two bottles sleep for now. (96 pts.)
  • 2005 Tenuta dell’Ornellaia Le Volte Toscana IGT - Italy, Tuscany, Toscana IGT
    Deep purple color, with nose of blackberry and leather. On the palate, ripe berry, tobacco, and cedar. Tannins and a touch of heat on the staying finish. Young, but with many elements of a very nice wine. Good QPR at $22. (88 pts.)
  • 2000 Anderson’s Conn Valley Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon Estate Reserve - USA, California, Napa Valley
    Dark purple with bricking legs. Very aromatic dark fruit and cocoa nose. On the palate, blackberry, chocolate, and sweet tobacco leaf. Acid somewhat dominates the tannins; medium length on the finish. Drinking ok now, and might hold up for a couple more years. (89 pts.)
  • 2003 Walter Hansel Winery Pinot Noir The South Slope Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley
    Aromas of bing cherry and earth. The palate unfolds into cherry akla-seltzer fizz and petting zoo funk, which surprisingly, is not completely unpleasant. (87 pts.)
  • 2006 Heitz Cellar Chardonnay - USA, California, Napa Valley
    Almost New Zealand-esque tart citrus fruit with crisp acidity and a clean finish. Very little noticeable oak. Pair with food. (87 pts.)

70 tasting notes Jan 2016, mostly from a Monte Bello vertical and a long Riesling tasting with one of my fellow auction crew. My notes weren’t up to much.

I was 21. I liked wine and I knew I wanted to know more. But…

I was drinking some Bordeaux that my best friend found in his dad’s closet. But only for our more fancy drinking – with one of our professors who was just a few years older than us. And magnums of White Merlot that were $6 in the clearance bin, we drank those. Of course, we bought $2 Chuck, three bottles at a time. And it should go without saying that when we saw the box of sangria for $6 sitting alone on the shelf next to our target (Franzia), we gladly bought it and then drank it (not so gladly).

Rich, I just had the 04 Reiver a month ago, and it was stunning, I wish I had another six of them. The recent bottle of the 2004 GAM was yucko, very alcohol-forward and cloying, and was relegated to a braise. I remember being very fond of the Greenock that night.

Ten years ago I was drinking exactly what I drink now. I went to dinner with a winemaker friend from Rioja and he was telling me how bad the 2006 vintage had been, while we were drinking the far better 1996 vintage. I had a 1996 tonight. It’s just ten years older.

Some of you guys are making me feel old.
Aside from that, a good thread [wow.gif]

Beer out of pitchers and mop buckets, jäger and pretty sure my only wine consumption was in sangria…

I wasn’t using Cellartracker but I remember that horrible year fairly well. Not drinking much other than at occasional wine dinners. Certainly some Rhys as our annual release dinners were still happening. I wouldn’t be surprised if I didn’t open a single bottle at home that year.

I wasn’t drinking much wine or using CT 10 yrs ago but was interested in the classic cocktail and emerging boutique spirits scene.

I made a Jan 2007 visit to my brother-in-law in Berkeley and we called around to a few SF liquor stores to see if they had anything interesting in stock.

We drove across the bridge and came home with two 750ml bottles of Pappy van Winkle 21 year. By the time of my next visit to see him, the following year, we had both finished the bottles.

They were $70 apiece. Never bought it again.

• 2006 Scholium Project Naucratis Lost Slough Vineyards - USA, California, Central Valley, Clarksburg (1/29/2007)
    This is 2 different wines. At refrigerater temp iy is a lovely clean crisp wine. At room temp it is an incredibly complex aromatic wine. Try it both ways. (92 pts.)

• 2004 DuMOL Chardonnay Chloe - USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley (1/1/2007)
    Wow. Clear brilliant gold color. Lovely nose fruit and orange peel. Thick lovely deep palate with tropical fruit. I really like this wine wish I could get more than 1 bottle. (94 pts.)

• 2002 Sloan - USA, California, Napa Valley (1/1/2007)
    Extremely dense thick sweet wine. A whole bunch of everything. Enjoyable in small servings. Not complex. Nose is alchoholic. Palate is sweet, thick and taste goes on forever. I prefered the 2002 Les Pavots tonight (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Great thread and interesting to see 10 years ago where my focus was. A lot of Barolos, CDPs, Oregon Pinot and Aussie Shiraz.

1998 Fox Creek Shiraz Reserve (Australia, South Australia, Fleurieu, McLaren Vale)
2004 Kaesler Shiraz Old Bastard (Australia, South Australia, Barossa, Barossa Valley)
2005 Tim Smith Wines Grenache Mataro Shiraz (Australia, South Australia, Barossa, Barossa Valley)
2005 Kaesler Shiraz The Bogan (Australia, South Australia, Barossa, Barossa Valley)
2006 Stangeland Pinot Noir Oregon (USA, Oregon)
2005 Ayoub Pinot Noir (USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Dundee Hills)
2005 Boedecker Cellars Pinot Noir Stewart (USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley)
1991 Dominus Estate Napanook Vineyard (USA, California, Napa Valley)
2001 Marziano Abbona Barolo Pressenda (Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo)
2004 Andrea Oberto Barolo Vigneto Rocche (Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo)
2001 Marziano Abbona Barolo Pressenda (Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo)
2003 Louis Latour Corton-Grancey (France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Corton Grand Cru)
2000 Domaine du Pégau Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée Réservée (France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape)

John- Fun resurrection of this thread I’d forgotten about.
I’ll have to run another list from Dec 2008 to see what’s changed.
Cheers and Happy New Year all!

On 12-31-08 we drank:

2003 Kistler Chardonnay Dutton Ranch
NV De Sousa et Fils Champagne Grand Cru Cuvée des Caudalies Blanc de Blancs
NV Agrapart & Fils Champagne Grand Cru Terroirs Blanc de Blancs Extra Brut

Q4 2008? 90% of my “consumed” was sold. The rest was whatever got me through the night without too many nightmares about whether I’d be fired the next day!

The kids were 7 & 4 and I usually had the evening coverage, so very seldom. That said, I was failing miserably in reducing the inventory.
Even with double daycare, the 2007 market crash had left a lot of inventory out there that was being dumped at very good prices and I was buying.

Must have had a group of friends over. Based on my notes the Pegau was opened too early. All of the other wines met expectations. Big difference today is that I never drink CdP’s when they are so young. Also most bubbly these days are vintage Champagne, an expensive step up I made about 5 years ago.

Wines drank on 12/31/2008:
2000 Domaine du Pégau Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée Réservée
NV Henriot Champagne Brut Souverain Champagne Blend
NV Yalumba Muscat Museum Reserve Rutherglen
2007 Seghesio Family Vineyards Zinfandel Sonoma County
2004 Carlisle Zinfandel Fava Ranch Russian River Valley
NV Roger Pouillon et Fils Champagne Fleur de Mareuil Brut

NV Henriot Champagne Brut Souverain Champagne Blend

I used to drink this all the time. I really have not seen it around Minneapolis as much.