CellarTracker Down?

I’m well aware of that, and have no fears about losing my Cellartracker data. It just made me think about the time investment that would be involved…and my cellar is nowhere close to as large as some here.

Schrödinger’s wine cellar.

Why do you hate cats?

As Andrew mentioned, we have been seeing errors cropping up where a subset of WEB SERVERS get unhealthy and start seeing errors. This has been happening in fits and starts over the past 5 days, and we are actively escalating with Microsoft to get to root cause.

All data is safe and heavily backed up. And we also encourage people to use our tools to take their own local backup: Exporting Data - CellarTracker Support

This is our top priority to sort out.

3 Likes

If I can’t (virtually) see the wine, how do I know if it even exists anymore?

1 Like

Yes, this meme immediately popped into my head, except with wine bottles behind a glass door.
plates.jpg

Yes: “ALERT: First-World problem!”

I understand that this is now considered acceptable usage and I further understand that I am a pedant but this disappoints me (grammatically; practically, I’m very glad that our data are safe).

I haven’t received any errors, but CT has been glacially slow for me the last week or two.

But I just logged on and things are much, much faster!

If not a pedant, at least academic. Here’s the Associated Press Stylebook entry, which most news services follow more or less, and is generally very sensible:

data
The word typically takes singular verbs and pronouns when writing for general audiences and in data journalism contexts: The data is sound. In scientific and academic writing, plural verbs and pronouns are preferred.
Use databank and database, but data processing (n. and adj.) and data center.

3 Likes

Good to know about the export option. How do we import all the data from an exported file?

We have long had a bulk import tool: Migrating From Another System - CellarTracker Support
It is not an automated, self-serve thing. And since your data ARE safe, it isn’t something you should need to rely on.

2 Likes

I was raised with data being singular. Now all my coworkers treat it as a plural, and it drives me nuts. We’re engineers, so its in between science and … real life.

1 Like

I work with lawyers, and they treat data as singular because they know I will beat the crap out of them if they don’t! [cheers.gif]

1 Like

Data is plural
Datum is singular
Data are… Not data is

Don’t make me…

These days, treating “data” as plural is mostly a matter of grammatical virtue-signaling, and it’s a short step from that to pedantry.

the definition of irony.

Eric worked for Microsoft, right? Have you seen the grammar suggestions in Word? Just sayin’.

1 Like

I’m not necessarily the definition of consistency, though. I cringe at “less” when “fewer” is called for and I used the subjunctive (“if he were to …”), so I’m a grammatical dinosaur in my own way.

I think feelings about plurals are particularly visceral, though, because we internalize that status when we learn the word. It’s very odd to American ears, for example, to hear the British refer to companies in the plural (e.g., “The company are…”) even though we use “they” to refer to companies.

Corporate entities and data are both ambiguous: Are they a single thing or amount or an countable set of individuals (plural)? “Fewer” and “less” involve the same distinction.