Cellar Tracker - is there API access?

I think CT is a global platform, so I would hope for global support, but I’d just be happy with having all my local wineries enter their wines.

i see you’ve hacked into our roadmap! lol

we have a lot of these tools in place for the very reason you assert; data entry is dumb and error prone. so our pov is that you shouldn’t have to do it. ever.

it also means you need to have the engineering capacity and willingness to integrate directly with ordering and POS systems at retail and on-premise, which we’ve also done :wink:

1 Like

Somewhat related, I’d love to see if someone (a winery or vendor) could produce a QR code that would pre-populate a cellar tracker entry (of the correct bottle and vintage). Then, you’d just open your shipment (or email receipt), scan the QR code(s), add price if desired, and move on.

You can creates QR codes from any old URL. So knowing the Cellar Tracker URL. I used the search results but looks like the Wine ID is all that is needed. I used Adobe, you can use what you want. https://www.adobe.com/express/feature/image/qr-code-generator

Cellar Tracker Patricia Green 2019 Pinot URL

First URL is more dense with all the extra characters.

The wine ID makes a less dense URL.

Another strategy is to use a short URL to make as few blocks as you can in the QR code. Services like bit.ly can do this for any old URL.

2 Likes

Great example. I think this is easy enough to do that retailers should be able to do this for larger mail orders and wineries should do it for their own wines. It also would help wineries get their CT numbers up :slight_smile: I can’t see any downsides other than the extra front end work to create the QR code. I’ll get off my soapbox now.

Like this? Except it goes to the wine.com page…

From a winemaker/retailer perspective this makes a ton of sense (linking back to store page as in the above example) - for a casual winedrinker wouldn’t you really want them to be enjoying a particular bottle and make it easy enough to scan for reorder? The CT link is excellent for us geeks but doesn’t seem to offer much value to the maker/retailer (especially the retailer). The only downside I see here is that there are few winemakers/retailers who I have seen maintain a page for a prior vintage - once on to the next vintage the URL changes. It would seemingly require some back end work to set up a non-specific vintage landing page (in contrast to CT page which exists indefinitely).

1 Like

The downside I see for retailers is the ease of price comparison from the Cellar Tracker site. If there was a description and scores only view for stores to help sell the stuff at a subscription model, that could sell!

Also selling mediocre wine is probably an art. Leading people to pages that say you are probably paying too much for this not so good wine could ruin whole segments of the industry. :laughing:

1 Like

Yes! But as @Eric_Michels noted, it’s probably only useful to link to CT for the minority of us who are trying to track inventories there.

And as @Glenn_C_McMillen says, linking to CT will also highlight potentially mediocre or overpriced wines that much more quickly.