Cayuse weekend wines

Always loved En Chamberlin as a favorite, En Cerise always second.

The rest, like Bionic Frog, never tasted a mature one.

Some great memories sending back flawed Champagne with Christophe at the Marcus years ago, and nights at the Green.

Wasn’t really what went on as much as a tasting room with artwork for sale, an odd arrangement to say the least. It featured one winemakers umbrella of wines. There were two brands he was representing and one I thought to be pretty good Ardor… Supposedly Christophe had tried the Syrah and thought it to be the most true to the ‘rocks’ that there was (besides his of course). It was good, but I was more interested in his Mourvedre that was sold out. I think Mourvedre is the real grape of Washington with the most potential.

Didn’t get to too many wineries, odd as it was Cayuse weekend and all but I had the wife and kid with me so it was limited tasting, I’ll catch them on the next holiday. I like Rotie and will make sure I try the 13’s in a month or so.

Just got done with Wind Gaps 12’ Grenache and have to say it may be the best new world Grenache for me so far.

Great timing! I will be tasting at Wind Gap this weekend and will look out for their Grenache. Thanks for advice.

Also agree with Mourvèdre being the next focus and rage. Unfortunately, Rotie’s Mourvèdre, dre, did not show well last weekend. However, the 2010 I had recently rocked. Keep an eye out for that one as well. I think Kerloo may also be doing one as well.

Really liked the new facility at Cayuse and the food was a definte uptick from years past. Our favorites were the Flying Pig, En Cerise and En Chamberlin as well. The GOK has never shown well at this tasting in my eyes. Had a chance to taste with Greg at Gramercy and all the 2012s showed very well, tasted the 2012 reserve cab that was just stunning and our wine of the day by a wide margin. Agree with Glenn on Bras. 4 , great as always, steak frites flirtysmile

Jason - I agree with you about Mourvèdre in WA! We had a single blind tasting a few months ago with Wagyu Tri-tip and four Mourvèdre. The WA wine finished last for all four tasters, one ITB. This WA producer is well regarded too. It did lose to two great CA Mourvèdre producers and the young vine Pibarnon.

Second mention of Ardor since Saturday.

Ok Cayuse fans. I’m on the Horsepower list and would like to get a better understanding of how these wines are likely to evolve.

Anyone have any thoughts, based on experience, or even better, speaking to Christophe at the pickup, which wines in the Cayuse lineup are most similar? (e.g., is the Sur Echalas Syrah likely to be similar to the frog?)

It would be great if I could hunt down a couple of “proxies” with some age on them so I can see what I’m getting myself into.

I’ve bought the Sur Echalas Syrah and Grenache.

Thanks all!
Brian

Glenn, did you open the mag?

No man, it’s sideways.

I don’t really ‘get’ the mag, can someone clarify what’s in it? (besides it being 12’ and the fourth incarnation)