Cayuse weekend TN

Definitely doing a head-to-head taste test of the 2010s this summer!

Can’t wait to see the notes.

Glad to hear some positive notes on the Cailloux. It’s the only 3 pack I was able to get in my first Cayuse offering.

Tyler,
The 09 Cailloux is a serious wine. Co-fermented with 10% viognier gives it stunning floral aromas and the fruit is laser focused. One of my favorites at release weekend. Dynamite wine!

I love what co-fermented Viognier does to Syrah…although I’m not sure I’ve ever had one with 10% of it!

Where is the full Jared Wagner chronicling of the weekends events? You and Mr. Watts always provide a different spin on things. Did Halbert drink the bucket again?

Yeah Jared, chime in. I miss your notes.

TR and Rich,
I have my notes all ready to go just need to get them typed into Cellartracker and then transferred to here. Lots of good stuff including a mag of 02 En Cerise and a 98 Cayuse Cobblestone!

Rich did not drink from the bucket, but I did!

I actually did drink out of the bucket! At Trey’s there was a decanter that people were using as a pour out for their wine. I thought it was one of the wines on the table that someone decided to decant! WTF!!

PS I was impressed with how the 98 cobblestone was holding!

here are my notes that I could make out off my chicken scratches from my note card. As with others I thought the quality as a whole was maybe the best yet although the 07 & 08’s were rockin as a whole too. My standouts were the Cailloux, BF and En Cerise and En Chamberlin…and the Camaspelo after I had a mouthfull of pate!

2009 Cayuse Syrah Bionic Frog (USA, Washington, Columbia Valley, Walla Walla Valley) 4/9/2011 bajayngo
quick 2011 release note - Massive wine! Pepper, massive cornicopia of blue, black and red fruits. Sweet meats, tart tannis, rhubarb, ash, and an acidic citrus and chalky tannin finish. Steller as usual. (91 views)

2009 Cayuse Syrah En Cerise Vineyard (USA, Washington, Columbia Valley, Walla Walla Valley) 4/9/2011 bajayngo
quick 2011 release note - Menthal, funk city, fresh muddled fruits, ash, a hint of pepper. A big dense wine with a LONG finish. (105 views)

2009 Cayuse Syrah En Chamberlin Vineyard (USA, Washington, Columbia Valley, Walla Walla Valley) 4/9/2011 bajayngo
quick 2011 release note - Rose, pine tar pitch, big saline mouthfeel and a the classic Cayuse cherries. (106 views)

2009 Cayuse Syrah Cailloux Vineyard (USA, Washington, Columbia Valley, Walla Walla Valley) 4/9/2011 bajayngo
quick 2011 release note - Cherries, mineral city, liquid rocks, rare meat and tannin attack on the finish. Some thought this was unfocused and underdeveloped. I couldn’t disagree more. I thought it has a truly elegant structure and focus. (169 views)

2009 Cayuse Cabernet Sauvignon The Widowmaker En Chamberlin Vineyard (USA, Washington, Columbia Valley, Walla Walla Valley) 4/9/2011 bajayngo
quick 2011 release note - Menthol, dark berries, tobacco, smoke, saline mouthfeel and a spicy finish. Good acids and a hit of cherries. (58 views)

2009 Cayuse Camaspelo (USA, Washington, Columbia Valley, Walla Walla Valley) 4/9/2011 bajayngo
quick 2011 release note - Very extracted at 1st but then w/some food the green olives, graphite and tobacco come out w/hints of anise, tart finish with a touch of tannin. (88 views)

2008 Cayuse Syrah Armada Vineyard (USA, Washington, Columbia Valley, Walla Walla Valley) 4/9/2011 bajayngo
quick 2011 release note - Pepper, muddled blackberry and cherries w/some baked notes. Sparkling tannins, sitrus punch, saline mouthfeel w/young tannin on the finish and a bit of ash. (173 views)

2008 Cayuse Grenache God Only Knows (USA, Washington, Columbia Valley, Walla Walla Valley) 4/9/2011 bajayngo
quick 2011 release note - Darker fruit than previous vintages. Dense on the palate but focused. Not the red notes of prior vintages but still has that cool ash note. (229 views)

Jared,

I thought you were sick that weekend?

?? Not sure I follow. I seemed to be feeling pretty good…

Read this on April 6th …

Re: Cayuse Release Weekend
Ack. My wife has a cold/flu + conjunctivitis and based on how my eyes feel now, I may be joining her shortly. Currently in the process of canceling my reservations/appointments… it really bums me out that I am going to be missing all the great wine, fun and that special Cayuse Camaraderie. [cry.g…

by Jared Wagner
Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:27 am

Forum: Wine Talk
Topic: Cayuse Release Weekend
Replies: 33
Views: 1055

Joel,
I’m pretty sure that was posted by Mike Quetel. I don’t even know what conjunctivitis means!!

see post #19