Cassoulet time!

Thank you so much for this. Had a pending order that I was able to cancel and re order at 30% savings

Sent from my Windows Phone using Board Express

My kit arrived today.

I didn’t get the clay pot!

Would that be shipped separately? I mean, no great big deal if I don’t get it, but I didn’t notice anything during ordering saying “tough luck, no pot for you!”

Who got the pot?

Frank,

Just got off the phone with a CS rep from D’Artagnan. Bad reading on my part. The Kit + Bowl were a completely different SKU# & price than the regular kit ($180 vs. $104). The bowl by itself goes for $80 more or less and is coming from France in 5-6 weeks.

So none of us are getting the pot!

[cheers.gif]

In my case it would have been kind of a pain to store anyway. And certainly not worth $80 to me.

But I have a ton of food to keep cold now, and a full fridge. Better schedule the Feast some time soon!!

At least it’s cold out on the balcony.

I’ve used that versus making my own and MAN does it save time and energy. Make the dish 2-3 days before you’re serving it, the longer it sits the longer the flavors integrate and deepen.

Oh, and call me when it’s ready. [wink.gif]

Michel, we’ll drive

You already said you wouldn’t be around. neener

If you wait until I’m back in early February it’ll be even better. [wink.gif]

Never trust a man promising free pot.

now your 2 favorite people can’t make that date [drinkers.gif]

Quick question to those that have used this kit before: what size casserole do you use? I called CS at D’Artagnan to ask and they said an 8 qt. Unfortunately, the largest I have is a 6.5 qt. and can’t really buy one now just for this occasion (cheapest I could find online is over $250). Thoughts, tips?

Do you have something closer to 4qt? You could do two batches…

I asked the very same question as well. CS rep did not recommend to split due to the difficulty of splitting the duck fat and demi glace. Oh well, guess I’ll just wing it (no pun intended).

I think that’s silly, of course you can split it. Pour a little duck fat in each, a little demi-glaze in each.

I think when I made it the kit was smaller (I only remember 2 pounds of beans) but as I have said, I did a split so that I could omit the pork from the smaller pot.

If the two pots are the same version – and if you’re not putting a crust on top, you could mix after cooking to make sure the flavor is the same.

What do you think about a top crust?? That can be the best part, especially if you toast the breadcrumbs on a cookie sheet. They suck up the fats and juice and get kind of brown. It’s like the bread stuffing in a turkey, arguably better than the bird.

Seriously, split it. Heck, you can refrigerate half (1 week max) or freeze (3+ months) to do the second batch. It will be just fine. Personally I would avoid freezing and just have cassoulet twice in 2 weeks…

Agreed. Guess that’s what I’ll do.

Tanks a bunch youse guys.

It’s going to be great, have fun!

Last weekend, I cooked what I estimate to be 2/3 of the kit, using 2 bags of beans and 4 duck confit. I left the rest in the plastic back and re-sealed the opened sausages with Glad press-n-seal.

I used my wife’s 5.5 Quarts Le Creuset and I estimate that it would be too much of a stretch to fit in the remainder that I didn’t cook. But it was the perfect casserole in lieu of the extra cooking vessel that I didn’t order.

By the way, the only thing that I thought was not apparent in the enclosed recipe and instructions from D’Artagnan was how to make the top crusty. Since I finished cooking a few hours before our guests arrived, I was able to re-heat without top cover at 400F for 30 minutes and the top got slightly crusty.

Ramon,

Thank you for the insight. That 5.5 qt Le Creuset is exactly what I was planning originally but then thought that the stoneware insert of our slow cooker (at 6.5 qt.) could work better. As far as the cooking instructions, I could have sworn I saw the mention of uncovering the cassoulet in order to crisp the top layer and the subsequent “breaking” of the top layer to check for liquid absorption underneath.

I’m on the fence as whether to do a breadcrumb crust on top.

I will be making it Thursday to eat on Saturday. Nine people (or 8 1/2 since there is one young person who probably won’t eat as much). Kind of tempted to hold some back to supplement with cheaper beans for a second go-round.

Jorge, the online recipe at d’Artagnan does talk about breaking the crust several times to check on the liquidity of the stew. BUT they don’t tell you how a crust can form without the bread crumbs. I suppose the top layer of beans cooks hard in the oven.

In the URL below, see Step 10 and Ariane’s recipe tips at the end.

http://www.dartagnan.com/t50/59119/rp64/Duck--Foie-Gras-Recipes/Cassoulet-DArtagnan.html