Carlisle Summer Pre-Release

I’ll be taking some, but not all of my allocation. I’m in Westchester County. If any locals are interested, send me a private message.

I looked back, and in January I got a “regrets” email from Carlisle, so I guess I’m still in the system somewhere.

Carlisle has an interesting model, with many of their wines available at retail at similar prices to their release prices, and with what appear to be huge allocations offered to people on the list, but then an extremely long waiting list. I think most producers in his (enviable) position would expand their base of customers at the expense of slimming down the 2+ case allocations, but of course it’s entirely up to Mike how he wants to set up his business and make those tradeoffs.

Carlisle is the only waiting list I’ve parked on in the last several years. There aren’t all that many wineries with multiyear waiting lists anymore.

Chris, I’ve only ever seen a few bottles of the higher production wines at retail, certainly not the whole lineup. Not sure what other allocations are, but I’ve been on the list for many years and typically get 1-3 bottles allocated per wine, depending on production (I may not be in the top tier, since I don’t generally buy my complete allocation). For me, I think Carlisle is one of the few wineries that really goes to great lengths to meet customers half way with their pricing and allocation practices, given the demand for the wines. When you do get on the list, I’m sure you’ll enjoy it!
Cheers

It may be that the allocations are so large in total number because Carlisle makes so many different wines, and Mike doesn’t want to stick customers with a bunch of 0 and 1 bottle allocations like Williams Selyem does. That makes sense, and in any event, it’s entirely up to Mike how to make those arrangements.

I’ve been lucky to have Wine Exchange locally, and they have carried many (though not all) of the Carlisle wines, including SVDs, at times over the last few years, so I’m able to get my fix while I wait on the list. It’s all good.

Yes, I only get allocated 2-3 of each wine generally…but that still can add up to 2+ cases. Not sure how else he would do it. You know everyone gets pissed when they only get allocated 1 of something.

saxum and sqn come to mind along with rhys and carlisle and a few others

I’ve been allocated a total of 19 bottles (plus wish list of course) among an assortment of the various wines. Though I’d love to, I won’t be taking more than half that number, perhaps even less this time (general reduction in buying). I love Carlisle wines of course, but trying to be “good”. I’m happy to share with anyone in Socal who is interested. I would have it all shipped to my offsite to be picked up at your leisure. Just PM me.

By the way, as a relatively new member of the “active” list, I can say that one of the best things is having access to the “pre-release” prices. For instance, the Sonoma County Syrah with a release price of $25 (still a bargain), has a pre-release price of only $19.50!

In honor of this release, a tasting note to whet your appetites:

• 2010 Carlisle Zinfandel Pagani Ranch Sonoma Valley - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Valley (7/18/2012)
    What? No notes from anyone on this one yet? Let’s change that: nose is explosive crushed berries, ripe and opulent, with that signature old vine Zin aroma I can’t describe - you have to know it; the palate is an amazing amalgam of rich, ripe, forward, juicy Zinberry/blackberry/boysenberry fruit, and elegant, restrained, brooding, piercing Zin, all mixed together, with striking acidity, beautiful complexities, long, mouthwatering finish. One fantastic Zin. I’ve been waiting for a long time for Mike to get a chance at making a Zin from this most famous vineyard (one I consider in the absolute top tier of old vine Zineyards), and this does not disappoint. Have had many years experience with both the Ridge version, and the St. Francis version, and somehow Mike has outdone both of those (well, it wasn’t hard to exceed what St Francis did, clobbering the poor wine with so much oak). (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Don’t forget that with Carlisle as with many others lists (Anthill Farms and Bedrock) some of us started out buying at a time when there were far more generous limits on most of these wines and there were no such thing as waitings lists either for these wineries. Those were also the days when they were trying to establish themselves. So it makes good business sense what Mike is doing as far as I can tell.

Also if these is something you can’t get that you want to try, then please come up and say hello. I’m always happy to pop these amazing wines.

I’m in almost exact same boat. Got the “sorry” email in Spring, nothing yet for this release. Am hoping it means I might have a chance to bat clean-up, but probably just wishful on my part.

Chris,

I would guess that Mike has a lower than “normal” turnover in his mailing list due to the relative affordability of all his wines. Couple that with the almost universal good buzz that Carlisle gets, and the multiyear wait is the result. FWIW, I was on the waiting list for about 4 years and this is my second allocation.

Matt

I’d guess the same. He seems to have resisted the temptation to see how high he can push the pricing. Hopefully, he won’t have a change of philosophy right when I finally get through (but isn’t that what usually seems to happen when you wait many years on a winery waiting list? [cheers.gif] ).

One thing to look forward to is that, even though I’ve only been on the active list for a year, I think I was allocated some of all but two of the wines in this release. So once you’re in, for the most part, you’re in for almost everything. I can think of another, rather famous mainly-zinfandel making producer who I bought from for 5+ years and STILL was not given allocations of everything they had to offer [swearing.gif] .

Matt

Chris,

I know Mike has commented on this in the past, especially selling to the retailers that he does. IIRC, he sells to the folks he’s sold to for a long time and maintains those relationships and supports those who have supported him from the get go. Have no idea what kind of discounts he offers them, but my guess is that the retailers respect his retail prices . . .

Cheers

And don’t forget to add Seghesio to this bunch. I tried it this weekend at their tasting room and it was good+ but not as good as their new Monte Rosso IMHO.

One of the few mailers I still buy from. I will not be taking everything if anyone in Chicago wants some.

George

I’m happy to share with anyone in Minnesota. I’ll probably be taking 4.

I’ve seen a fair amount of Carlisle at retail for decent prices. I think it’s been noted that they sell a certain amount at retail to keep up interest and such. It is nice to get offered everything on the mailer.

My wife just got her allocation. 19 bottles. [wow.gif]

I am relatively new on this list- but got a 28 bottle allocation- which I will buy. I am not sure about the one white that is being offered- anyone try this?

Is her allocation bigger than yours? [cheers.gif]