Can you tell from only a blurry picture what wine this is?

Great detective work and an interesting thread!

The bottle in the above post has a ‘tour’ and a cross. The original didn’t, but everything else looks the same. The fact that in the place of these two logos is a ‘v’ and the producer in the tower/cross bottle starts with a ‘v’, I’d say it’s highly likely to be the same/similar wine.

Domaine Bitouzet-Prieur Beaujolais-villages. Maybe even the same cuvee, but we can’t be sure. Unfortunately, this domaine don’t seem to make a Beaujolais anymore.

Looks like an old B&G label to me, a friend had a bunch of these from 50s and 60s, when they had great holdings and land leases.

I remember a friend ordering a Beaujolais at a dinner in the '70s. They were definitely around.

Top work folks. I salute you.

I just noticed that there is a BV from the same negociant DOMAINE DE LOYSE BEAUJOLAIS-VILLAGES 2005 HENRI DE VILLAMONT

An inexpensive wine, but wine-searcher currently only showing as available in Japan, though Robersons in the UK used to stock it, so it might be feasible to chase one down via a google search. https://www.wine-searcher.com/find/domaine+de+loyse+beaujolais-villages

So I reckon Dario has 3 good options:

1. Get a good Beaujolais Villages that’s going to be very appetising
  2. Get a fancier wine from Domaine Bitouzet-Prieur, say a Volnay
  3. Try and find the Domaine de Loyse B-V

and I am exceptionally dubious that you could buy bojo in magnum back then.

That looks very much like it!

Pretty sure their label was more yellow back then - I had some '78 and '80 reds from them many moons ago, and used to sell them retail -

Pretty sure you nailed it - big negociant label back then -

Thanks for the challenge/enjoyable time suck. Didn’t find your label, but was surprised to see how many producers in the Healdsburg area were making it in this time frame - Rafanelli, Hop Kiln, Windsor all have records in CellarTracker (as did Sebastiani).

I wasn’t saying they weren’t around, I know they were. But a simple Beaujolais would have been seen as something celebratory and not dismissed as today being only a regional wine (or not a Grand Cru Burgundy).

My exact thought when I opened this thread

You’re referring to “Gamay Beaujolais”. That wasn’t really Gamay, but is one of many examples of European wine terms used to help sell American wine. Beaujolais wasn’t unheard of back then. (Most grapes going by that name turned out to be a Pinot Noir clone.)