Can Chianti Classico Benefit from Aging?

Going in October and are doing this. Have you been before? Someone in another thread mentioned arranging a truffle menu as well. Did you just order off the menu?

1 Like

Come to think of it, I had a 2009 Cepparello two weeks ago My note in 2017 was that it needed three to five more years. I under-estimated. It is just coming into its own now.

We were there last September. We had a truffle pasta which was a top dish during our two weeks in Italy. Better than any of the dishes we had at Roscioli! Beautiful in its simplicity, plenty of space to really enjoy the wines.

Love this place. Ended up there at opening time with children in tow. Had a great flight of 1970s Chiantis and then bought a few to lug around Florence for the day and then take back to Oz.
Wish that we could have stayed for lunch and settled in properly.
The 1980 Monsanto that I carried home in itself was well worth the carriage.

1 Like

Plus the old chiantis are great for candles!

I just had a 2010 Panzano Gran Selezione last night and thought it was likely past its prime. (It was my first time trying the producer). The fruit and acidity was a little dissipated.

Which producer?

Oh sorry, Castelli Grevepesa

Righty. Never had anything from them. Sounds worrisome, since 2010 was supposed to be a great vintage in Tuscany! I would’ve expected a 2010 to be still a relatively young wine.

The night before I had a 2010 Ricasoli Casalferro (Merlot) and had a similar experience although that one even aged less well

I’ve had Grevepesa and think they’re basically a value brand and not a bellweather for aging ability. Acceptable for a simple, inexpensive CCR to accompany food, but no more than that. WTSO has their wines all the time.

2010s from well regarded producers are cruising along fine. Nothing to worry about. And the wines will drink well for many, many more years. Try a Fontodi, Fèlsina, or a Monsanto.

Yeah, I’m well aware and completely familiar with all of those - solid producer every single one. I was just surprised by that 2010 Grevepesa GS.

I have a 2011 Felsina Colonia in a holding pattern and look forward to having it soon. I had purchased a few 2010s, the Grevepesa Panazono GS among them.

As I stated, a 2010 Ricasoli Casalferro was past its prime. Interestingly, though, I am having a 2010 Cavalli Tenuta Degli Dei this evening and it is good. It has a real brambly earthiness and nice mouthfeel. It says in it bottled in Panzano in Chianti. So maybe it is a producer issue if this indicates that the wine is from the same sub-region as the Grevepesa - although there is a difference in that the Grevepesa is a Chianti and the Cavalli is a Super Tuscan.

[quote=“ericdinn, post:34, topic:318974”]
…a 2010 Ricasoli Casalferro was past its prime. Interestingly, though, I am having a 2010 Cavalli Tenuta Degli Dei this evening and it is good. It has a real brambly earthiness and nice mouthfeel. It says in it bottled in Panzano in Chianti.[/quote]

The Casalferro (at least back then) and Cavalli are not Sangiovese based wines and, while produced in the Chianti region, wouldn’t be a good reflection on the ageability of Chianti Classico. The Grevepesa is a different matter…was it well stored from release? It is also quite possible that the wine simply “is what it is”, and seems a little thin and lacking in fruit just because it’s .a relatively unremarkable/average Chianti Chianti Classico with 14 years of age. (To many people, even a great Sangiovese may seem thin and “lacking in fruit” when compared to New World wines, or even wines like the Casalferro and Cavalli that you mentioned.)