Can block chain solve the problem of wine counterfeiting, at least for future vintages?

Love everything about SV - hence the jest - but what we are developing is not nearly as simple as label recognition.

We are developing 2 systems to streamline the inspection process:

• 1- Bottles can be initially authenticated -more appropriately confirmed as consistent with authentic production- which is far more complex and detailed than simple label recognition. There is a lot we can train computers to recognize that the human eye does not see - and certainly not quickly.

2- Bottles in the ledger can be individually identified and verified against their ledger.

Ah, that all makes a lot more sense. Sometimes you get so deep in the jargon that when someone uses it in the conventional sense it seems off. AI is just a somewhat dated term in the industry, I would call what you are doing automated feature detection, using neural nets, but admittedly that may be way overboard to the layman. Similar to the way people cringe at “cyber security” as the industry term is now “infosec”, but I doubt if you asked 10 people on the street what infosec is none would be able to tell you.

I hope some provision is being made for verifications in the case that there is no longer an instance of the blockchain server running or available. I thought about this today when the Internet of Things wine startup Kuvée announced they were shutting down yesterday. It would be a shame if the verification terminals became bricks, like Juicero machines. That’s a problem blockchain would be helpful in solving, assuming the design takes it into account. I was amused to learn the other day that Amazon Echo alarms will not go off if the WiFi connection drops overnight, for instance.