California Wine Lists: Largest gap from list to aftermarket?

RM and Myriad have significant secondary markups? Really ?

Myriad’s Napa Valley Cab retails for $100 every time I look (and I’ve looked several times as I try to recommend it to people looking for a Napa Cab under $100), but it has sold for $75 the last few years (i.e., 33% markup at retail). Also, Myriad Dr. Crane Elysian Cab is something like $180 off of the list and $250 -$300+ at auction. Rivers-Marie has large mark ups on several wines (e.g., Platt Pinot [$70 vs $150+], Herb Lamb Cab [$135 vs $190 at auction and $250ish at retail]).

I’m not saying you can necessarily make a living flipping all of the wines made by the producers listed, but I the pricing difference is large enough to where it makes sense for me to buy direct instead of retail or auction.

3 Likes

You’re always going to pay a premium for ex-producer library releases. I wouldn’t read too much into ‘13 Maya pricing … the ‘18 MDV cab was offered at $550/btl, for instance, as a current release. And yes, as you say, there is still a lot of markup on the secondary market even with the $550/btl price.

The high-scoring RM, yes.

I see the offers for Rivers Marie and Myriad at prices above list price, but I always assume those with the big mark-ups aren’t actually trading. I think a very limited production wine that gets 100 points is a one-off exception to the rule.

There’s a rule?