California wine for a British friend.

That stereotype is almost as good as that of British cooks.

Bringing this one back because we are heading back to England in two weeks. Feel kinda nervous about London but I love the city and a trip to Wimbledon was part of point of the trip. Shipping turned out to be way too complicated, so we are carrying a few bottles. Thinking about 4 total, a Zin from Turley, Carlisle or Once and Future. A Dirty and Rowdy Mourvèdre. Those are locked in. So is a Boony Doon Rhone. My question is this, Rhys, Chardonnay or Pinot? I have fewer of the Chards and prefer them to the Pinots, but the hostess prefers whites and I know nothing about Sauvignon Blanc. Is it more dangerous to travel with a sparkler? An Ultramarine Rose’? I just want to bring wines that I love and hope they will enjoy.

For whites, Kalin Semillon or SB; Mount Eden estate chard.

For the Rhys question I’d personally go with a Chardonnay. No problem packing sparkling wine, I’ve done it many times.

While California wines can be hard to track down, it’s worth noting that the majority of wines mentioned in this thread are UK-availiable without too much effort. They are, off the top of my head:

Kalin (OW Loeb)
Mount Eden (Roberson)
Rhys (Justerini & Brooks, Hand Picked Burgundy, Howard Ripley)
Bonny Doon (imported by Fields, Morris & Verdin - they could tell you who stocks retail)
Pidresassi (Roberson)
Bedrock and Scholium, as Brady mentions, are with The Sampler
Montelena (a bunch of folks - though I don’t think recent releases are going to make anyone forget Bordeaux)

Roberson also have the likes of Wind Gap, Sandhi, Arnot-Roberts and Corison, all of which can make a good impression on people who don’t know California wines.

Pretty sure Turley is imported too, but can’t remember by whom.

Enfield Chardonnay, if you can source one, would be an excellent choice.

If you want to explore Sauvignon Blanc, consider Merry Edwards. Great wine and compelling back story – one of pioneer female winemakers in state.

For chard, can’t go wrong with Ceritas to show all chard here is not buttered popcorn. Or vintage Stony Hill to show that CA Whites can age … almost Chablis like … both flinty but giving

For what it’s worth, you should not be afraid of going to London if you are concerned about the recent, reprehensible terrorist attacks. There have been 13 deaths from terrorism (and about 60 injuries) in the past year in London. As a comparison point, there were 2100 casualties (death or serious injury) caused by car accidents a year in London in 2016. You’re far more likely to get run over by a bus looking the wrong way on a street than getting hurt by a terrorist. The bad guys win when we allow irrational fear to take over.

Back in Britain for tennis season and having a great time. Brought 4 bottles in Wineskins with no problems. Introduced my friends to a 2007 Cigare Volante from Bonny Doon for a Sunday roast which was showing great. Gifted them a Dirty and Rowdy Skinner Flats Mourvèdre and a Turley Juvenile. Saving an Under the Wire sparkling for later. Heading to Eastbourne for tennis tomorrow as it is just 20 miles away. Looking forward to London next week for the big show.

Storybook Mountain Mayacamus Range Zin would be a good Zin to send.

Heading back to a England tomorrow and bringing my friends 4 bottles. 2016 Dirty and Rowdy Antle Mourvèdres, 2016 Dirty and Rowdy MSG, 2015 Princess and Peasant Carignan, 2014 Under the Wire, Alder Springs Sparkling Chardonnay. Dirty and Rowdy is a unqualified hit and requested each time we come over. Looking forward to some great seafood and Sunday roasts.

I am looking forward to reading how this collection of bottles goes over with your friends!