Calgary, Banff, & Jasper Restaurant help

Wow, fourteenth time. Interesting re your comment about how it’s a very different town now. Can you elaborate? Just curious as this was my first trip.

Hi Mike,

Banff and Canmore (not so much Jasper) have become much more homogenized, with many interesting, independent shops now gone. There used to be a fantastic book store at one end of Banff Avenue. There was also an Italian place that had basic, but delicious food, and the world’s best garlic butter (lots more gone, but those two still hurt). The food was always so hot when it came out of the kitchen that you had to wait five minutes before taking a bite. Lots of the old B&B owners are gone, and the homes updated to high end luxury. Canmore has become a McMansion farm on one side of the highway, where none of that was present when we first started going in 1999. Crowds are way up in both towns, and it’s now shuttle bus access to places like Moraine Lake, whereas we used to just drive up and park, no problem at all.

My wife and I now spend most of our time in back country lodges, rather than in the towns. It’s much more relaxing to be with a max of 12 other people, rather than standing in line with 1200 people to get on a shuttle. I may not get the high-end cuisine (though the food is always good at the lodges), but I do get unencumbered views of this:
IMG_5092.JPG
and this:
IMG_3590.JPG

Yeah, downtown Banff was shockingly crowded, reminded me of Fisherman’s Wharf in the summer. We never made it to Moraine or Lake Louise because of the crowds and need to be on a rigid shuttle schedule to get there, but luckily there were plenty of other great spots to visit.

Our next door neighbor here in California was born in and grew up in Canmore, and her family is still there. We met up with her while visiting as she was in town visiting her family and she mentioned how much Canmore has changed over the last 40 years.

Block Kitchen and Bar in Banff great. Ate there twice on recent trip.

Another excellent place to eat when in Jasper was Evil Dave’s. Get the Malevolent Meatloaf (Wild Boar and Bison) which is especially tasty after a day of hiking (and if there is a chill in the air).

I gotta get back up there soon but probably won’t be for at least three years or so.

Was there last Labor day: 5 days of long day hikes. Best spots in banff were:

Bison Restaurant: Great steaks, cozy atmosphere.

Three Ravens Restaurant and wine bar: the view is incredible, their wine selection was not interesting. Very good food, incredible presentation. The atmosphere inside was not cozy.

Juniper Bistro: Went twice for breakfast. Great good, view and atmosphere.