Cabernet Franc

Loire Cab Franc is terrific. Plenty of good options mentioned above.

In that < $60 range, I’ve had some good stuff from Leah Jorgensen, Loop de Loop, and Ian Brand.

Thanks for the recommendations! I look forward to trying them. Will update when I do so.

For value in California, look at Alexander Valley Vineyards Cab Franc. $20-$30 and very good. Hard to find good Cab Franc in Napa/Sonoma under $80. Another value is Black Diamond Walla Walla cab franc, under $20.

In that price range, Crocker & Starr has always been a favorite (think they are $75 now?). Detert and Arnyca are also favorites, but are around $100/bottle.

I think Vineyard 29 Cab Franc is one of the best - although outside stated price range at approx. $140

This ^^

From Tuscany I’d also try Poggio al Tesoro Dedicato a Walter.

From Napa I’d check out Detert Family Vineyards Cab Franc Oakville.

1 Like

You should check into Quintarelli’s Alzero. Save up, but it’s worth it especially considering what you like.

Baudry or Olga Raffault, with as much age as you can find.

I like other Loire Cab Franc too, but those two producers are so great, and so ageworthy, and still so reasonably priced, that I am pretty much set to just buy them every vintage.

I don’t know as much CF outside of the Loire, so can’t be much help there.

A big Cab guy and Amarone lover? I don’t think Loire cab franc would do it for you. Stick with the domestic reccos.

What recent Loire vintages do you like for Cab Franc?

1 Like

It’s been a few years since I last had one so going off memory. I recall Larkin on the richer/fuller side of Cab Franc but still balanced and delicious. Honestly not sure why I stopped buying. Price looks to have crept to the top/outside your range depending on vintage and source.

I personally think 2014 is best since 2005. I think 2018, and to a lesser degree 2015, are more ripe than I prefer, which may actually put those vintages into the preferences of others that like Loire CF but perhaps with a bit more. I think 2014 is utterly classic. Try a Rougeard from this vintage, or a Raffault.

For Loire CF vintages to start out with, I would agree with Chris and just add 2017. Like Robert I would be more circumspect about 2018, in my case because it is atypical - so it might give the wrong impression to a newbie.

As for the style of wines which might appeal to someone who likes ripe flavours, I would go for Jacky Blot, Philippe Alliet, Domaine de la Cotelleraie and perhaps a Couly-Dutheil.

I think that correlation is not a sure thing though.

One can enjoy Amarone for its richness, and enjoy something else for lightness/balance/earthiness/savoriness/whatever.

Different wines for different days and moods. Same as with different music, books, movies. Sometimes I want to watch Cloud Atlas and other times I want to watch Superbad…

For me, personally, I’d rather have the best expression of a certain style, accept it on its own terms, and figure out how I feel about it.

I’m just going with the premise that he provided on wines he prefers. Didn’t read into anything else beyond.

My best domestic CF is 16 Terra Blanca. Located on Red Mountain, WA. Ripe but not overdone fruit from 2 clones. Should be around $25.

Thanks Andrew. I will be looking for this . . .

Bevan makes a Franc that is great in CA, so is Carmes Haut-Brion in BDX, especially the 2014, as does Spring Valley, Owen Roe, and Savage Grace in WA.

Will do this Tuesday next week. [wink.gif]

The 2007 Charles Joguet Clos de la Dioterie was delicious last night. My wife isn’t a big fan of Loire Cabernet Franc considering most of it to be a bit lighter than she likes and often with a bit of green that she detests. This didn’t show either and got her approval. While still obviously not California either. Just a wonderful nose and great showing for this bottle.

This is the first time I have had this wine so can’t really say if this bottle was representative of current vintages or if I got lucky. But I will be seeking out more to find out.