Buying, selling or keeping out of the wine market?

Very selectively buying. I am shocked at how little I have bought this first quarter. Mostly Champagne, a little Roagna, and I forget what else. This is a good time to weed out the cellar and think about what I should be buying going forward.

Buying only what I can’t resist. Picked up some more Dirty and Rowdy this morning. I had no idea Mourvèdre could taste like theirs.

Same as before. Buying wines I know I like at good deals for them.

Out. I bought a ton (for me) over the winter and on BD. My cellar is a fuller than it has ever been. I would have needed to slow down anyway, but this has had me stop completely.

Side lines

Between wine, scotch and bourbon, I have well enough to ride out the zombie apocalypse and most of my expected natural life span. Think I only have a few cases outstanding from orders earlier in the year.

Not in to selling; have traded though.

Probably will sit that way until the fall.

Always looking, should be some deals out there, waiting.

I had been severely restricting my buying before the whole sheltering in place thing happened. Unfortunately when everything got canceled about 75% of what I had on hand was allocated for postponed events.

So I picked up a half case of inexpensive wines from CSW both to support them and to have something that I wouldn’t feel guilty about opening.

More worryingly I’ve found that sitting at home in front of a computer or ipad more often is a recipe for checking wine stores/auction sites. I have several bids in on this week’s winebid auction. And after last night’s Musar call I ordered a half case of the 2005 Chateau Musar rouge.

So my buying has unintentionally increased. I had planned to buy nothing but 2008 Comtes for the first half of the year.

Dale, let me clarify. If - like Thomas Jefferson - you agree that wine is a necessity of life (and I’m quite sure most of the readers on this site do), you shouldn’t take the external factors into play when deciding whether or not to drink wine, since this is the same as buying groceries and things like toilet paper. You need it, it is not an option. This being said, there may be certain macroeconomic events which change the calculus, but even during the Great Depression people were still drinking. They might have been making wine at home but they were still drinking. Economics may have some say in how these drinking dollars are allocated, but that is a different matter. For anybody with a reasonably full cellar (define as you will), probably you don’t need as much new wine to buy, so that decision will have already been made for you, particularly if you have less income now, but this is, in a way, living off your economic reserve. We still have plenty to drink. I will still be buying those wines that are small production or otherwise unobtainable soon after a new vintage or those that I sense a gap of. But we still drink wine and the cycle of life continues. If wine is our air, it is necessary to life.

Got in on a resto deal with a forumite for a few nice, higher-end bottles to lay down for a long time. Not actively looking, but have enough “dry powder” available should something else TGTBT comes along.

Some think all this rescue packages will result in some inflation . May be like all other physical assets could do well with a bit of inflation .

As investors flee to cash, is there any information on the state of these so-called fine wine investment funds?

Just buying short-term drinkers. If I don’t buy another bottle, I have enough for a bottle a day for 5 years. Will still be getting more

I defiantly bought a Pol Roger 2012 Vintage Champagne at the SAQ in Montreal the week I was there to take care of my father which I intend to open with as many friends as possible once this BS is all over. As you know, I closed off my collection except for trade-ins and special exceptions at Premier wine in New York and SAQ in Montreal because they carry things I can’t usually find here and are accessed only on special trip occasions.

That said, I recently went to trade in for a pair of Hugel 2012 Grossi Laue Pinot Noir bottles at the LCBO I was lusting after only to be politely informed that under current circumstances they would not trade in for the time being even though they fully understood that I wiped down the bottle just in case. So I said “screw it” and just ended up buying them anyway. Since then, back to the usual moratorium but I may buy more celebratory champagne for opening with friends this weekend. Haven’t decided yet.

same as i prior, though less consumption will lead to less buying at some point (or one would hope)

What’s a trade-in?

Wine is pretty much like everything else right now. Out, except to support local folks in the restaurant business or small producers in the wine business. Bought some Di Costanzo this morning, but that’s the first I’ve bought in at least a month.

I unfortunately purchased too much in both 2018 and 2019, and had already planned on buying at least 50% less in 2020. Just too much wine aging past its prime, and I hate waste. With that said, I don’t like the fact that local producers will be hit so hard. I’d love to support them even more but it just seems irresponsible based on my wife’s income already dropping.

I somehow missed your post, Ed. Fortunately I stumbled upon the deal while perusing the Keenan Winery site. I had to order - 50% off a case for their 2016 Merlot? $22/bottle before shipping (which was only $30/case to MA via ground). Crazy deal in my book.