Buying at auction

and who were experimenting with modernist methods much more than their supposedly traditional reputation at the time. I do wonder whether this was something of a premox style combo of changing methods and cork variability exposing the issues.

You very well could be right, but frankly, the wines were cooked by the time they got here, so it was really hard to figure out which flaw was buried under that flaw.

I say that from the experience of bottles bought in the UK, so unless cooked in Italy, it does suggest a wider problem. FWIW the 1998 Bussia Soprana bottles were a little better, but a pale shadow of what I’d expected, initially overly tannic, then prematurely aged at 15-20 years.

1 Like

The 1999s and 2000s in the US were absolutely cooked. They were worse than the 1997s!

Drafting off of eric’s thread, can someone with winebid experience give me a PM? I have had zero complaints or problems so far but have some process questions about the experience, which is new to me. Thanks.

EDIT: Thanks all; a kind board member has agreed to make me smarter on the process. Cheers!

1 Like