Butter

Funny enough, had this with Polaine tonight. Was walking back from taking my daughter shopping and hit up Andruet in Marche de Passy for some cheese. Saw the Bordier (had to have been 5-7 different kinds) and grabbed some. Got up to the register and noticed they had quarter wedges of Polaine, as well. #score Believe I posted a great story re: Poilane of the “Have you been to Paris lately?” thread… good stuff. Hard to polish off one of those wheels before they go stale though… and when they do, they’re solid as a rock.

Andrew,
The apartment we rent is 2 mins walk from Poilane’s shop in the 6th. If I’m too lazy to Metro across town to Du Pain et Des Idées or La Pointe du Grouin, I’ll stop by Poilane and pick up a quarter of a Miche Poilane. A whole Miche Poilane weighs two kilos and, as you’ve noted, goes stale quickly. If you like truffles, you might want to try beurre demi-sel a la truffe from Deleu.

1 Like

Ramon -
Can you bring butter back into the US? If so, I’m all about the insulated bag next trip!

Thanks!
Brian

Brian,

Always declare. Especially food items. Here’s a screenshot of an article written Feb. 2016. Remember that US Customs rules can change, so check before you decide to carry back. If US Customs decide that my butter is not allowed, I’m not going to regret the loss of Euro 12 worth of butter. We’ve carried back and declared butter at least 6 or 7 times (as far as I can recall) and were always waved through.

While you’re at it, and want to complete the delicious breakfast scenario, bring back some Christine Ferber jams from Alssce. They’re usually available, in Paris, wherever Bordier butters are sold. Awesome jams.
IMG_0691.PNG

here is a link to the full article Ramon posted.

And here is the US Customs current view of bringing in food.
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/3619/kw/what%20cheese%20is%20allowed%20from%20France

DO NOT PUT JAM JARS in carry ons–even though it is a “solid,” TSA confiscated my jars. I am sure they enjoyed it with their breakfast the next morning.

TSA confiscated my sister-in-law’s Nordic Creamery butter a few years ago … she still mourns it,

Anyway, butter is better in airplane cargo hold where it is very cold.

Thanks for the advice! Definitely worth trying on the next trip.

IMG_6229.JPG
Les Prés Salés

There is a new bread stall at our Saturday farmer’s market and there is a great country loaf with a serious crust. I bought some Les Prés Salés and had a feast. It is very salty but with the bread it is perfect. So far, except for some smoked butter that I had in a French three star, Les Prés Salés is my favorite. I think Taillevent serves Bordier salted and unsalted and I’ve had it there many times. What’s not to like with their bread selection?

I’m sure it’s a notch below some of the great French butters, but whenever we’re in Sonoma we hit Vella Cheese up for some of their butter. I think it’s called Bear Flag butter.

I had more hassle getting out of France with my jams and mustards from security at CDG. I made sure to buy small jars of everything just in case, and that was a good idea. The big jar of Fallot went in checked baggage although I had to juggle between cases for weight. The things I do to get my treats home. [snort.gif]

ETA: Always declare. You don’t want to mess with these guys, and worse yet, get on some “list”. We have always been forthright and never had any problems.

FWIW - I’ve been enjoying a big log of “Le Grande Prairie” Beurre Demi-Sel that one of my local cheese shops recommended. Wonderfully creamy, with a bit of salt (3%) and grass. This can’t be healthy.

So this thread inspired me to go on a butter sampling adventure at my local cheese shops. Below is from Fromagerie Motzart, which the guy recommended for a creamy, but less “strong” flavor than Bordier. Good stuff, but I like the grassier flavor of the Bordier demi-sel. Also picked up some Bordier cream for coffee… insanely rich and good.

Update: picked up another one today and it was a different experience. The salt granulates were not fully dissolved, so I had several bits of “crunch” while eating with bread. Not sure I was as big g if a fan with the small salt chunks in the butter. Demi-sel, as before. #buttervariation
IMG_0358.JPG

Alan - There’s a nice short article on butter in the newest Saveur magazine. The cover has grilled oysters.

thanks–Jerry had sent it to me. I had ordered her butter years ago after a Per Se experience. Amazing.

By the way, Les Prés Salés is growing on me.

Had another excellent and delicious churned Beurre de Baratte les Gaslonde. Along with our usual Bordier, this was recommended for us to try home by the affineur we visited.
IMG_0738.JPG

Blocking Kerrygold butter a civil rights offense?